new install but cold water feed is a mix of two metals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Just had a new Atmos combi boiler fitted into an airing cupboard,Previously I had my old system boiler sited in the kitchen next to the stop cock and the pipe leading in and out of that was copper. After the new boiler was fitted i noticed that there was a length of galvanised iron pipework with a shorter length of copper on the end of it which,in turn, connected to the boiler.I then read about the interaction between two different metals causing corrosion which made me feel concerned.
Someone suggested fitting a strainer between the iron pipe and short length of copper to collect corrosion, but I wondered if it would be more prudent to replace the iron pipe which cant be that long as the airing cupboard is in the bathroom which is just above the kitchen? thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry about it, but if it's one of things that will bother you I would replace it with copper rather than patching it up some other way,
http://www.copper.org/applications/plumbing/techcorner/electrolysis_cause_copper_tube_fail.html

well if its nothing to worry about then I wont .Its just at i was reading stuff on the Web that got me concerned thats all and an RGI on another forum suggested sticking a strainer in to collect any corrosion as he thought it might damage the boiler

Sponsored Links
Have you phoned the person who fitted the boiler and asked him about it?

i spoke to him whilst he was still here having just completed the fitting. He didnt seem think it was worth worrying about but agreed to fit a strainer

Are you mad John? why on earth would somebody ring up the Lady/Gent who has spent days at the property, put the boiler in and knows the system inside out, paid them for the job, and ask them - when you can ask a load of strangers who may/may not have a clue what they are talking about , over the internet??

Come on john wise up mate :LOL:

Are you mad John? why on earth would somebody ring up the Lady/Gent who has spent days at the property, put the boiler in and knows the system inside out, paid them for the job, and ask them - when you can ask a load of strangers who may/may not have a clue what they are talking about , over the internet??

Come on john wise up mate :LOL:

point taken which is why i have now emailed Atmos to ask for their advice.Guy did a cracking job for me so I dont want to **** him off, so if he agrees to do it will be paid for as an extra.His sidekick had offered to replace the iron pipe because he saw i was concerned , but at the time I thought I'd go along with the strainer idea as it seemed to make sense.Anyway if anyone should know for sure it should be Atmos

but at the time I thought I'd go along with the strainer idea as it seemed to make sense
If it concerns you have it removed. 'If' it corrodes it will also leak and a strainer will not help. I take it this is an existing pipe - if so how long has it been there? How is the copper connected to the iron?

but at the time I thought I'd go along with the strainer idea as it seemed to make sense
If it concerns you have it removed. 'If' it corrodes it will also leak and a strainer will not help. I take it this is an existing pipe - if so how long has it been there? How is the copper connected to the iron?

the pipe was installed in the 1930s when the house was built.It ends in an elbow joint onto which a brass screw-in coupling adapter attaches it to the copper pipe

a brass screw-in coupling adapter attaches it to the copper pipe
The jointing method will probably mean the pipes are isolated from each other e.g. hemp/boss white or PTFE tape if it is a modern joint. If the pipes aren't touching they can't corrode due to dissimilar metals being used. It was unlikely to happen anyway, but it is even less likely now.

Had a call a couple of weeks ago on bad flowrate on hot water side from a newly installed boiler. It had been connected to old iron pipe. Turned out old pipe full of rust etc. Replaced pipe and full flowrate returned. :)

The jointing method will probably mean the pipes are isolated from each other e.g. hemp/boss white or PTFE tape if it is a modern joint. If the pipes aren't touching they can't corrode due to dissimilar metals being used. It was unlikely to happen anyway, but it is even less likely now.

that may well b e the case then

that may well b e the case then

It will be the case mate, stop worrying, fittings are designed in this way to create a barrier between the two metals so they don't touch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back