Lagging Pipes and Hot Water Tank Jacket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've just had a new boiler put in which is working great. In addition, a new foam lagged hot water tank went in the airing cupboard. Because its foam lagged, does it need a jacket as one wasn't included?

In addition, there are a number of pipes in the airing cupboard which aren't lagged. Would it be worthwhile lagging the pipes in the airing cupboard (would there be any to avoid lagging)?

Finally, we need to box in the exposed pipes in the kitchen (which we'll do when we refurbish the kitchen). What is the best thing to use when boxing in the pipes - presumably we ought to include some insulation when boxing them in?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
jacket don't need one.
lagging pipes in airing cupboard, is it that cold in your house ?
boxing in battens and plasterboard or ply.

all the hot pipes within an airing are required to be lagged after a cylinder change in order to comply with regs. :)

don't box in any drain points or too close to the boiler so as access can be gained. you can make the boxing removable in such circumstances.

Any heat lost from pipes inside the house - including those in the airing cupboard - is helping to heat the house . It is only pipes under the ground floor and in the loft which are actually losing unused heat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, yes the pipes would be heating the airing cupboard so think I'll leave it.

i agree. just stirring. :LOL:

but our local authority insist upon it during upgrade/referbs.

unlagged pipes contribute to the general heating of the house, true.

But in an airing cupboard they will still be very hot in sumer, so this is wasteful, because you don't want to spend enery to heat the house when it is warm. I've lagged all mine with Climaflex.

I also put a red jacket over the foamed cylinder, because I happened to have one. It does no harm and it cuts down the heat loss even more.

The primary pipes between boiler and cylinder also waste heat and in some houses are quite long and may be under the floor. I lagged them in my mum's old house and halved the summertime gas usage.

A jacket won't make much difference over a new foam lagged cylinder.

All pipe work off the new cylinder must be lagged for a minimum of 1 metre, or until it goes through the wall, floor or ceiling, whichever is shorter to comply with current Part L regs.

But then your installer should have known this being energy efficiency qualified to fit a condensing boiler in the first place :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back