Lagging outside pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a 2nd opinion.

I was called to a frozen incoming mains job recently when we had that cold spell.

What I found was about 6 metres of 20mm MDPE pipe above ground level, lagged in grey lagging within boxing made from plywood and loft insulation!

My first reaction was that the pipe should be min. 750mm under ground.

The ply was rotted and the loft insulation sodden/frozen, which was acting like a ice jacket. I managed to defrost it with a hairdryer, but the tenants and letting agents want me to re-lag it.

I told them it should be undergound but the landlord doesn't want to do this, so I said that I could lag it with armaflex waterproof lagging although I'm sure it'll just freeze again next cold snap.

Any suggestions anyone?

Graham

Sponsored Links
Graham

The service pipe should be between 750 and 1350mm depth. If the landlord is insisting on the pipe being above ground and lagged, say no.

It's up to you mate, but i would walk away.

Cheers

Personally I would lag it, you've informed him that it wont solve the problem yet he still wants it done. Do it & get paid for it then charge him for another call out next time it freezes. :evil:

I agree with both of you. Personally, I don't need this job, but I do a fair bit for the letting agents, so want to keep them sweet.

I'm just going to lag it and then write down the recommendation of running the pipe underground on the invoice.

Thanks for your replies.

Graham

Sponsored Links
If you lag it, put it in writing that he wanted that done, get him to sign it. Trust me, u don't want it to go tits up lol

I agree - get him to sign that any future freezing is down to his unwillingness to follow your advice, then there's no comeback.

it is an existing situation so i don't see why you can't repair it the way they want and get paid for it.
if they don't want to sign anything, you can always send your recommendation by email and a hardcopy in snailmail; that should get you off the hook

If you try and coerce the landlord into signing something then you'll just irritate him; he has no obligation to sign anything you give him.

If you leave the pipe unlagged then you simply haven't done your best for the customer.

You can't be made responsible for a poor original installation, but it would be wise to take a photo of the job when you've finished, and to make a note of doing so on your invoice to the agent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back