Gas pipe size

hes said its a 30kw boiler, so wtf r u trying to be cocky for sayin it would be inadequate for a 42kw, if hed said hes having a 42kw boiler id adjust the pipe size to suit

Its still inadequate for a 30 kW boiler!

Sponsored Links
that is almost guaranteed to be 28mm, otherwise you won't get the gas flow rate with an acceptable pressure drop.

The only way I could see you getting away with 22mm is by increasing the regulator pressure at the meter and that is not exactly legal.

Sponsored Links
Great advice, well done :rolleyes: Chartered Engineer? Chartered idiot more like it.

How dare you, he obviously worked very hard to be called an engineer, at least 10 weeks of open university building eiffel tower replicas out of straws. Not like all these other johnny come latelys who bandy the title about willy nilly.

oh dear another nerve rattled.

What I have said is true and I have also pointed out the legal implications of doing it.

I couldn't help watching watchdog last night and see all you so called "engineers" giving the profession a bad name.

And for info, you cannot become a chartered engineer with an OU degree.

thank for clarifying the open university situation, saved my straws for nothing.
with regard to rattling nerves, i couldnt care in the slightest what you call yourself. engineers, minor royalty and transvestites all seem to like telling people how special they are.

oh dear another nerve rattled.

What I have said is true and I have also pointed out the legal implications of doing it.

I couldn't help watching watchdog last night and see all you so called "engineers" giving the profession a bad name.

And for info, you cannot become a chartered engineer with an OU degree.
Who cares what you are? You must have issues fella if you have to come on a internet forum and bleat on about people using the incorrect terms to describe themselves?

Think about it for a moment - does it really matter that much? If the answer is yes, you need to get out more and try and lead a more fulfilling life :rolleyes:

The only way I could see you getting away with 22mm is by increasing the regulator pressure at the meter and that is not exactly legal.

Kind of agree with the guys on this stupid and dangerous advice.

There is no other way so why mention something that's illegal and not least of all potentially dangerous. This is a DIY forum and some idiot will read this comment and try it. :eek:

There was enough information posted to know that it needs 28mm minimum.

On most boilers its not possibly to set up the combustion properly if the pressure loss in the supply pipe is too high.

Look mate,

You've been told what size pipe you need, why are you questioning it? The guy did do the calcs - in his head. You think we enjoy running a large gas pipe if its not needed? Working pressure wouldn't usually be tested at the meter on a cp12, and its not relevent unless you already have a 30kw combi.

If you don't trust him get more quotes , simple.

Thanks everyone for all your replies, they are appreciated. I obviously want a safe and correct installation!

In reply to above, I was only questioning it as I have seen two installs that work fine and pass CP12 tests (hence working pressure ok I assume): Firstly a similar install with 15mm pipe almost all the way and secondly, a basement meter feeding a 4th story flat & combi boiler in 22mm all the way. Having seen these work and pass the CP12 tests, this is why I was questing why it wouldn’t work in my case.

The reason for not being keen on the 28mm pipe isn’t about the money, it's more that a new surface 28mm pipe run is really not wanted when compared to continuing the existing pipe that is under floor and would be hidden. I would even have been willing to sign a disclaimer saying I would pay again for a 28mm pipe run should the extended one not perform adequately when installed – assuming calculations showed that it might have been ok, but wasn't guaranteed until the actual performance could be measured.

I guess I was checking that the guy wasn’t just 'playing it safe' with the pipe size, especially as he didn’t seem at all interested in the existing pipe or where it went, etc.

From what everyone has said, it sounds like the consensus is that 28mm is necessary so that is what I will go for!

Thank you all again for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back