Inline Y filter (strainer) advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am, at long last, going to fit a 15mm Y strainer to protect my son's combi.

Toolstation do a strainer for just over £4, the average price at a plumber's merchant seems to be around the £12 mark.

I don't have a clue about these things, but I know you lot will be well up on them. Go for the basic one? Which ones do you use? Why would they be different?

All help gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Yes, I wonder what you hope to achieve.

Sounds as if you may be confused between dirt in the heating and lime compounds in the water supply.

A 15 mm filter solves neither.

Tony

There seems to be occasional bits in the incoming mains - due maybe to a metal supply pipe? - but these bits can occasionally get into the Intergas flow switch and cause it to not operate.

I felt a strainer would help. If so, which type should I go for?

Thanks for your replies so far.

Sponsored Links
Any simple Y strainer will do the job. The flow switch is set out of the factory at 'twelve' o clock and there isn't much clearance between the paddle and the body. If you twist it so its at two o clock it's just as sensitive but a much better chance of debris sliding up the side and they very rarely give problems after that

If I check a boiler DHW flow switch for a blockage its extremely rare that I even find one.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back