Porcelain kitchen sink, strainer installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve done a search on this one but can’t get exact answer.
im fitting a new sink for my son. It’s a porcelain one, I’ve managed to punch the tap hole out without smashing the whole thing. The sink has standard size strainer holes but the sink base is obviously thicker than a stainless or plastic sink.
Do I need specific strainers for porcelain or will any do.

Also when installing what is the best medium to seal the top half of the strainer, there seems to usually be a thin gasket on the top side but doubtful this on its own will make a watertight seal. Presumably options are a plumbers mait type putty or silicone seal.

Any tips or advice please IMG_9630.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Strainer waste usually held together with a hollow screw. These are normally long enough to cope with the extra thickness of the ceramic.
I don't usually use anything except the supplied thin sealing washer on the topside but I smear lsx or similar on both sides of the undersink sealing washer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back