Installing new kitchen waste strainer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to fit a new kitchen waste strainer and connect to waste pipe. I need something like this

The old one had come loose from the bottom of the sink hole, and although it had a washer I was confused how it fitted to the bottom of the sink, as it didn't go through the sink hole and there was no wing nut securing it. A screw had corroded away and fallen out of the strainer maybe that was all it needed?

Does anyone have a step-by-step guide to fitting all this, as I've also heard you need plumbers putty to seat the top of the plate-plug and also to fit the underside connector? I want to get it right so I can start using the sink again :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
If the screw had corroded then thats why the bottom part came loose.
The screw go's through the centre of the top part of the waste and screws into a brass insert in the centre of the black bottom part, that's why you can't see it it's internal.

Thanks seco services

I have managed to fit a new one now, and touch wood no leaking. In the end I had to use plumbers mate to seat the strainer that sits on the inside of the sink only. It was a tight fit underneath so couldn't really put any plumbers mate here. I'm hoping the flange and washer will suffice to give a good enough seal. I've tightened the screw as far as it will go and filled the sink twice and can't see any leaks evident. There was a middle piece I had to leave out because there wasn't sufficient room, and connect the P-trap directly to the part that sits directly under the sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back