Best way to remove rusting iron filings from paintwork?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our company car park is alongside an engineering firm who have a huge extractor, which blows over the parked cars. They must have been grinding metal one day because I've discovered that my Passat paintwork is covered in tiny specks of metal, each surrounded with a small circle of a rust sheen. You can see it as tiny shiny blobs all over the roof and bonnet and when you run a hand over the car it feels like sandpaper.

Polishing gets it off but it takes time and a Passat estate has a hell of a big roof area. I have tried alloy wheel cleaner, which I believe contains hydrochloric or phosphoric acid but I'm nervous about damaging the soft water-based lacquer that protects the paint.

Having worked in a car showroom as a student polishing cars I'm careful to keep my car in good nick, never taking it through a car wash, which leaves tiny scratches. Anybody got any suggestions for removing the metal specks easily?

Sponsored Links
I've had that too and its a swine to fix - however, the rust circle is from the ground particle, which shouldn't attack your paintwork.
I'd say give it a gentle once over with Autoglym Tar Remover (seriously) followed by another once over with paint restorer or resin polish.
You may notice that if you use tar remover on the car sides, the grot that it shifts isn't always tar - its brake dust particles which are similar to the grit you are experiencing now.
Autoglym products recommended every time!
John :)

you could also try a clay bar, this will shift most surface impurities

Agreed I would go for this first.
Just make sure to rotate it and remould it regularly
The polish and wax afterwards.

Sponsored Links
I used to be a valeter for a Main Dealer and some of the new cars came in with fallout from railway yards where they were stored.
I had an "acid wash" designed for this sort of thing but its not recommended for the faint hearted. Your best course of action is a Clay Bar as already mentioned, keep remolding it and always have plenty of lubricant/soapy water. This will also remove any protection, so polish/wax afterwards. You could always leave it with a local Valeter and ask them to mop the car as well. ;)

By "mop" I guess you mean the rotating buffer? I really don't like them; in my experience they just leave a circular haze on the paintwork.

More on the acid wash please? Is it much different from the alloy wheel cleaner I tried on a small patch and which seemed to work?

A good mop will not leave swirl marks if you use a random oscilating buffer.
But there must be no grit present as this will scratch the surface giving the swirl marks
Any thing like this definitely a clay bar then polish and wax.

More on the acid wash please? Is it much different from the alloy wheel cleaner I tried on a small patch and which seemed to work?

The last time i used the product it was available thru the trade only, it is a diluted version of the alloy wheel acid you have already used. Alloy wheel acid also comes in different strengths, and yes, i've used alloy wheel cleaner on body work but only left it on for a couple of minutes before washing off, not really recommended. :oops:
Stick to clay and a mop and all should be ok.

Our company car park is alongside an engineering firm who have a huge extractor, which blows over the parked cars. They must have been grinding metal one day because I've discovered that my Passat paintwork is covered in tiny specks of metal, each surrounded with a small circle of a rust sheen. You can see it as tiny shiny blobs all over the roof and bonnet and when you run a hand over the car it feels like sandpaper.

Polishing gets it off but it takes time and a Passat estate has a hell of a big roof area. I have tried alloy wheel cleaner, which I believe contains hydrochloric or phosphoric acid but I'm nervous about damaging the soft water-based lacquer that protects the paint.

Having worked in a car showroom as a student polishing cars I'm careful to keep my car in good nick, never taking it through a car wash, which leaves tiny scratches. Anybody got any suggestions for removing the metal specks easily?
Make a claim against the engineering firm who polluted the atmosphere resulting in the damage to your car.Have it professionally repaired / resprayed.

Wotan

Thanks all for your comments and useful suggestions, I'm especially interested in that Polished Bliss product linked by ub7rm.

Don't think it would ever be possible to prove that the next door factory is contaminating our cars and even if we could, I don't think it would be very good for neighbourly relations as we do do some business with them.

Sponsored Links
Back