Best way to repair bottom of door frames.

Sponsored Links
To explain the rebate bit, the idea is just to form a dip in the top to get a greater contact area for glue , the lip around the outer edge retains the glue while keeping the joint neat.
litl

To explain the rebate bit, the idea is just to form a dip in the top to get a greater contact area for glue , the lip around the outer edge retains the glue while keeping the joint neat.
litl

I understand you dont worry. I'm not sure about the routing though. In terms of clamping, it's a small area to clamp and if a clamp failed, you'd have an MDF missile to rival north korea. If you screwed it down, how would you do it whilst ensuring there was no danger of the router bit contacting the screw during rebating?

I understand you dont worry. I'm not sure about the routing though. In terms of clamping, it's a small area to clamp and if a clamp failed, you'd have an MDF missile to rival north korea. If you screwed it down, how would you do it whilst ensuring there was no danger of the router bit contacting the screw during rebating?

One is only routing out a few mm with a small diameter plunge bit for the glue to spread so not a lot of torque, the screw length is easily worked out by selecting shorter ones than the combine thickness of the chipboard plus piece to be routed minus the depth of recess minus 5mm or more for safety.
litl

Sponsored Links
If you rebate the mating top surface a few mm deep leaving a lip around the outer edge , then drill a couple of holes into the void,wedge it up tight and pump gripfill in one hole untill it oozes out the other.
Jeez just whack some wood glue on it and slide it under the door jamb. Wedge something underneath until it sets. No need to over-engineer this entirely aesthetic bit of wood.

Last edited:
Jeez just whack some wood glue on it and slide it under the door jamb. Wedge something underneath until it sets. No need to over-engineer this entirely aesthetic bit of wood.
lol,,,that's what I was thinking mate,,,i just wanted to know what glue is strongest,,,:D

My comment was about how to rebate such a small piece of MDF safely with a router, not the repair. lol

I just didn't want it coming loose in the future mate ye know when being knocked with a hoover or a carpet fitter getting a bit rough and that,,,i was thinking the gorilla glue myself,,,thanks for all the replies lads,,,much appreciated...

Why not just glue it in with epoxy resin?

You will have no visible glue line (once sanded back).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back