Best way to repair this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong sub... I had a water leak over a year ago and never got around to repair the damage caused. However I have some time now to sort this and want to know the most efficient way?

I did buy some pvc panels today, but all the cutting etc, seems a pain, although I do plan to purchase a jigsaw tomorrow.

Is this the right way to repair, or shall I replace the timber with ply and put the tiles back on?

Thanks!

Also the leak has been rectified.

Attachments

• 81C2F3DC-6E5E-4DF9-BDFA-8E60F3252B2F.jpeg
    81C2F3DC-6E5E-4DF9-BDFA-8E60F3252B2F.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 100
  • C29CB9CB-0D08-463E-A78A-9E78AA404002.jpeg
    C29CB9CB-0D08-463E-A78A-9E78AA404002.jpeg
    258.8 KB · Views: 93
  • CDB5AE4E-11CF-4850-98BA-F1BE945CEA78.jpeg
    CDB5AE4E-11CF-4850-98BA-F1BE945CEA78.jpeg
    276.4 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Replace what timber with ply?
The framing looks ok, try sticking a screwdriver in it and see if it's rotted.
You'll need corner trim on the front edge if you use pvc (so you may have to mod the framing to make the trim sit properly) but the stuff is dead easy to cut with a fine tooth saw (tenon saw if you have one, easier to cut in straight lines). Jigsaw may give you a jaggy cut edge...

Replace what timber with ply?
The framing looks ok, try sticking a screwdriver in it and see if it's rotted.
You'll need corner trim on the front edge if you use pvc (so you may have to mod the framing to make the trim sit properly) but the stuff is dead easy to cut with a fine tooth saw (tenon saw if you have one, easier to cut in straight lines). Jigsaw may give you a jaggy cut edge...
Thank you, I was thinking of replacing the wood sitting on the frame. But I will just cover it with cladding instead.
What is the best tool to mod the framing? I did try removing it from the frame, but it was impossible.

I have bought a corner trim and I will get a fine tooth saw today :) also I was going to use nails to fix the panels onto the wood. Is this the best way?

Last edited:
You may end up having to cut the front batten out- framing like that tends to be put in with zero thought for removal.
Or (if you can spare the height under the cistern) fix 10 or 15mm blocks to the back top rails and bottom front rails. I've just done a similar boxing- the front trim is unsupported, the panels are reasonably strong in the vertical plane.
Fixing- much easier to screw through the hidden tongues. Use plasterboard screws (the heads sink into the tongue so the next board clicks in nicely) and a bit of silicon between panels and timber.

EDIT Those 2 panels are single pieces (frame was narrow enough to get away with it). To trim the panels down to width, sharp Stanley knife, straight edge, always cut on the waste side. The trim top back is fixed to the wall, the panels are loose apart from a couple of dabs of silicon- easy removal if needed

Attachments

• 16588413808188370822366847723241.jpg
    16588413808188370822366847723241.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 58
Sponsored Links
Thank you... I decided to go against the wall cladding in the end, I have many cuts etc, to make... I have, however plasterboarded (not sure if this is correct) where the ply was rotted and now I am thinking about what to do...

Do you think this will work?

You may end up having to cut the front batten out- framing like that tends to be put in with zero thought for removal.
Or (if you can spare the height under the cistern) fix 10 or 15mm blocks to the back top rails and bottom front rails. I've just done a similar boxing- the front trim is unsupported, the panels are reasonably strong in the vertical plane.
Fixing- much easier to screw through the hidden tongues. Use plasterboard screws (the heads sink into the tongue so the next board clicks in nicely) and a bit of silicon between panels and timber.

EDIT Those 2 panels are single pieces (frame was narrow enough to get away with it). To trim the panels down to width, sharp Stanley knife, straight edge, always cut on the waste side. The trim top back is fixed to the wall, the panels are loose apart from a couple of dabs of silicon- easy removal if needed

Attachments

• 52A0ED6C-C01C-49CE-BE9F-3A9F0220C884.jpeg
    52A0ED6C-C01C-49CE-BE9F-3A9F0220C884.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 56
Got to say if that was my bathroom I'd have tried to hide that bit of solvent weld coming down from the basin.
Problem with the wallpaper will be (a) getting a nice fold on the join from top to side (b) when it gets wet (that space always attracts fluff and splash) it may start lifting and going baggy into the gaps.
You will get much better long term performance from the pvc cladding- yes it's fiddly doing all the cuts but you can hide most of the damage with silicon :)

Got to say if that was my bathroom I'd have tried to hide that bit of solvent weld coming down from the basin.
Problem with the wallpaper will be (a) getting a nice fold on the join from top to side (b) when it gets wet (that space always attracts fluff and splash) it may start lifting and going baggy into the gaps.
You will get much better long term performance from the pvc cladding- yes it's fiddly doing all the cuts but you can hide most of the damage with silicon :)
That’s a very good point and i should hhave looked into it, but honestly it hasn’t really bothered me… on that note I did go with pvc panelling in the end (not perfect but I think it looks okay, I will silicone the flaws) also replaced the bath panel and the vinyl. Thanks for your help :)

Attachments

• 59D93633-E0C6-439E-8D68-E8821BDD4549.jpeg
    59D93633-E0C6-439E-8D68-E8821BDD4549.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 53

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back