Best way to seal concrete asbestos roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our garage has the 1960's style concrete corrugated roofing sheets which contain asbestos, but seem to be in good condition as far as I can tell but I'm no expert.

What I would like to do is paint the inside of the roof to seal the asbestos sheeting, which is the best way to do this with a PVA and water mix or with something like Thompsons concrete sealant or something else?

The reason for this is I want to keep a vented tumble dryer in the garage so I am trying to make it as safe as possible.

Many Thanks
Lauren

Sponsored Links
The Asbestos Information Centre say to leave it alone - see http://www.aic.org.uk/FAQAC.html:

"Having a roof sealed is extremely difficult and since all the lichens, moss and dirt will need to be removed first, it will be counter productive, as the removal will release more asbestos fibres than leaving the roof alone. If the roof is not leaking then the sheets/slates must be in a reasonable condition and so the best course of action is to leave well alone."

Thanks - but your response is regarding if I was going to seal the exterior of the roof.

We are just planning on sealing the interior of the roof - so there would be no moss etc on the inside of the roof

If the surface inside is fine then leave it anyway, if it's in any way dusty or loose, you are likely to disturb it, so take all possible precautions and the best of luck!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, how would ypu know its dusty and not just a build up of dust over the years, I don't have the money to replace the roof at the moment so just trying to make it as safe I can

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back