Best way to stabilise sandy mortar in between bricks on wall before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
WhatsApp Image 2020-06-16 at 14.16.57.jpeg
After putting it off for months I have run out of excuses not to paint the outside of the house during lockdown - yay!

I plan to use Sandtex masonry paint again as the last lot mostly stuck on for several years.

Rather than paint over the cracks I thought I'd scrape away a bit and discovered a couple of areas where the motar(?) between the bricks is very 'sandy' and falls out easily.

I don't know wether to use some kind of stabilising product, water down the masonry paint and soak it in before a top coat or re-point it first. All of which I am unfamiliar with so thought I'd ask here for a recommended approach before starting.

thanks for helping this old timer!

Sponsored Links
I would repoint the worst areas first, depends on how unsound the mortar is.

Pictures might help others advise you on this.

I do know that Sandex has a product Sandtex Stabilising Solution which stabilises powdery, chalky or dusty weathered exterior surfaces. I have used and it worked on fairly powdery mortar, don't know how bad your mortar is.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
When I sprayed my crumbling dashing I added a dollop of pva to each can before stirring .No loss after 20 years .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back