Best way to strip furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best way to strip wooden furniture? I've tried sanding but it can remove too much wood. Nitromors works, but stinks, and it's expensive. Strypit?

The two tables I stripped had a nitrocellulose lacquer, and I will do another with an acrylic lacquer (yuck).

Also, what is the best stain remover? Oxalic acid? These tables (Ercol) tend to have a horrible stain, which needs removing.

Sponsored Links
Stain? do you mean dye? cannot be removed, soaks into timber, would mean very heavy sanding with no guarantee of success.

I would investigate a dip tank service to see what their prices are like, although this can darken the wood overall. Oxalic acid is a good choice for lightening dark stains which are in the surface of the wood, don't think they'll remove wood stain or dye, as has already been suggested!...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back