How to remove lacquer from veneer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought an ash table that has a small amount of water damage. The table is solid ash other than the two center panels which are veneer one of which is damaged as shown.

I want to remove the lacquer and apply an oil to protect the table. What is the best way of removing the lacquer? Should I use a cellulose thinner and a cloth or very light sanding with some 150 grit sand paper?

Thanks for any help!
Kev

Sponsored Links
I'd go for wire wool rather than sandpaper. Stainless if you can get it, to avoid rust stains

it's very likely the veneer will come off though.

the only effective way to do this is use paint stripper (nitromores) with paint scraper and coarse wire wool and remove the finish completely. Sanding is a huge amount of work and you will risk getting an uneven finish in terms of absorbtion of oil finish etc. Stripper on veneer will be fine as long as its real wood veneer and not paper!

dont breath in stripper fumes though - they're deadly....

eco alternative to methylene chroride based paint strippers are supplied by a firm called Natech. Good stuff but a bit hit and miss depending on what you are stripping - totally safe to use though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back