Teak dining table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all.
I have recently bought a rather nice danish solid teak dinig table. It had a thick almost gooey coating on it which i have removed with meths and wire wool but has left what appears to be its original finish which is a very thin matt coating. the table top has some scratches in it which i'd like to remove and apply a hardwearing finish to it as i'm not overly precious about it and would like the table to be in daily use.

I have a decent metabo sander and my thoughts were to give it a good sand down and apply an osmo hardwax oil. if anyone has any experience of a similar project or any advice/suggestions they'd be greatly recieved. what grades of paper etc......

many thanks

Alex

Sponsored Links
Osmo, or any hardwaxoil, can give a patchy result on tropical wood-species. Tropical woods are oily of themselves, giving the oil in the HWO not enough time to do its work before the wax in the HWO starts doing its work.

Best would be to apply a thin oil first, followed by one coat of HWO

If the top is full of gooey stuff abrasive will clog up try a cabinet scraper and or scraper plane make sure it really is a solid top and not just a veneer before you start

Thanks for your advice. most of the finish is gone and not gooey anymore. My dad thinks a cabinet scraper is the way to go but i have no experience using one and i really want to do it myself. Am i liable to make a lash of it having never used one? If i sand it, would it just be a question of using more papers or will it affect the finish?

Sponsored Links
A 4" belt sander would be my next choice working through the grades from50 grit to 150 then hand finish, avoid using orbital sanders of any kind because they do what they say they are

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back