Help me identify this wood veneer? Stain advice too.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago my brother-in-law threw out a drawer that belonged to my grandmother's dressing table and which was given to my girlfriend. She and I were livid! Anyway, enough said about that the better!

I've been meaning to attempt to make a new drawer for her. It had two and I have the other safely stored away. I can handle the drawer itself but the difficulty will of course be matching the front face veneer. I'm not looking for perfection but I'll take it as far as I can realistically and financially!

IMG_5765.JPG IMG_5766.JPG IMG_5767.JPG

The first thing to do is try and identify what wood the veneer is, hence this post. :) I've tried to take a few photos which give a reasonable approximation of the colour and grain. Not sure if if is stained or just oiled, but it's certainly had some kind of polish or lacquer applied. I would describe the colour as a golden honey/sandy and at the moment I'm erring on the wood being.. Ash?

If anyone could give me a better idea or advice on what the wood could be, or any advice in general on attempting this project, I'd really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
I don't think its ash.
Afromosia maybe.
Often called African teak, afrormosia grows in relatively dry forests in the Congo basin of west Africa. Typically available in larger leaves than teak, it has a beautiful golden brown color; a fine, uniform texture; natural luster; and a typically straight grain that may produce a broken stripe when quarter cut. This veneer can be stained to a variety of colors and is a popular choice for architectural and boat interiors.
And cabinet making.

afromosia-1.jpg

What about contacting the repair shop BBC2, may as well get something for the licence fee.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies everyone. @Ryler I think that's a good spot! Afromosia is very expensive though, even in veneer form! Think it's a protected species now which would account for the price.

I'll probably need to go down a different route and take the drawer (once the current climate allows!) to a timber merchant and find a close enough match, then stain upwards. The most important thing is to get a quarter cut to match the grain contrast. I think it'll probably be far easier (though more expensive) to just buy a solid piece too, rather than veneer.

Bah, it would have been a nice project to get into currently, but it will have to wait!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back