Getting a new drawer front built to match old finish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old dresser which my girlfriend loves to bits. It's nothing special, probably built around the 50's with (and I'm guessing here) an ash veneer.

Unfortunately a few years ago my brother in law saw fit to do some clearing out in my parents house... and chucked one of the dressers drawers away.. don't ask, just don't ask!

The situation now is that my girlfriend simply refuses to chuck the dresser but doesn't want it anywhere in our flat either. Given this, my only solution is to try and build a new drawer. My problem of course will be matching the finish of the wood.

So with this in mind does anyone here think its reasonable for me to assume that this will be achievable? I'm not talking about doing this myself. Building the drawer, yes I can do that no problem. But making a front piece to closely match the finish of the original drawer, that I think should be left to someone else.

Can anyone suggest a place (South-East) that would do this? Is it the sort of thing a good carpenters should be able to achieve? It doesn't even need to be veneer either. If the veneer wood can be assertained then I'd gladly pay for a solid piece that could then be cut and stained to match.

Sponsored Links
wont be cheap probably £60-£100

cabinate maker /futniture restorer /french polisher

Here you go. As you can see it's nothing special but it's loved none the less. I've been quoted £200 by a furniture restorer to get a new front made and matched which I think is bonkers steep. Could anyone give me an idea what something like this should cost? Big-all do you still think something like this should cost under £100?

Sponsored Links
It looks like teak to me.

Being a professional cabinet maker I would charge around £150.00

What most people forget we professionals need to feed our self’s, pay Gordon Brown and keep a roof over our families heads just like you. And don’t forget we still need to purchase the material to do the job in hand.

When you take you car to be serviced do you say your bonkers expensive.

How long will it take you to make a replacement drawer front and how much is your hourly rate ?

Do you work for peanuts ?

Actually I pretty much do work for peanuts! But that's another matter.

I'm not dissing the craftsmenship involved to do something like this nor am I saying that people aren't entitled to proper payment for their services.

I am entitled however to say that £200+ for something like that is a lot of money. Only in my opinion of course.

Finding a piece of teak(?) and cutting it to length then applying a stain/laquer/polish to it to approximate the old piece shouldn't require too many man hours, especially from a skilled craftsman who's used to this type of thing.

£150 I would certainly consider but £200+ in todays climate, I couldn't justify nor afford.

shop around is of course the answer
you should definatly get the drawer front for less than a ton
but the skill is matching the colour and the grain not for today but for 18 months time when the new drawer "ages" and matches the rest

where are you based !!!

Croydon area. I'm fine with taking the drawer into London or anywhere in Surrey really.

Know any places I could try?

Croydon area. I'm fine with taking the drawer into London or anywhere in Surrey really.

Know any places I could try?

south london harwoods is quite helpfull for the timber and may point you in the right direction at 390 sydenham road croydon on 02086830292
cant remember the other decent one at the min

wheres jason b when you need him l o l

Thanks big-all.

I'm thinking I might try this myself now. I can feel my old grandad nudging me and telling me I can do it and not to waste my money. :) It can't be that hard. I'll just stick some extra veneer to offcuts and do some stain and polish tests to match the old finish.

So, can anyone recommend places that stock a selection of veneers?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back