Refinish a dining table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So clearing out the garage last night and I found some ink stain remover to remove the stains as per this thread:

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/refinishing-a-table-top.524049

It worked remarkably well but alas it has damaged or impaired the surface which is now sticky. In addition I left the cloth on there and section has no lacquer at all (see photo). The stickiness has resolved in some areas overnight.

What’s the best way forward?
Some sort of varnish stripper?
What can I use to relacquer the table? It’s veneered but underneath is solid oak.

99A7253F-B766-48D9-867D-DBAA1852A7EC.jpeg

Sponsored Links
If it has gone sticky then the finish probably isn't a varnish (in any case true varnishes haven't been used commercially for a century or more). Your finish can obviously be dissolved by something in the ink stain remover, but what? (Is there an "ingredients list"? on the pack?) Odds are that the solvent will be one of these: MEK, acetone, cellulose thiners or xylene. Match the solvent and you could clean off all of the finish and refinish the top. That is probably going to be easier than attempting to patch finish a small area

Edit: Went and looked at the distributor's web site where the product is referred to as a "paint and ink remover", which suggests solvent, but couldn't find the CoSHH sheet to confirm the solvent used. Maybe a call to them in the morning might help

Last edited by a moderator:
Odds are that the solvent will be one of these: MEK, acetone, cellulose thiners or xylene.

Edit: Went and looked at the distributor's web site where the product is referred to as a "paint and ink remover", which suggests solvent, but couldn't find the CoSHH sheet to confirm the solvent used. Maybe a call to them in the morning might help
Thanks J&K. I found this
http://www.cloverchem.co.uk/2013/sds/en/712_inkov_sds.pdf

Which states the main ingredient is 3-Methoxy-3-methyl-1-butanol. Googling that tells me it’s an alcohol based solvent and that’s the limit of my Google-fu.

I still have loads of the product left so I guess I could keep using it until I’ve removed the original finish. What would I then use to replace the finish?

It sounds odd but we normally cover the table with a clear plastic sheet (I think PVC) to protect and maintain the table surface.

Found the CoSHH sheet. It says that the active ingredient is 3-Methanol-3-methyl-1-butanol. My chemistry isn't quite at that level, but what I find by Googling is that MMB (the short name for this) is an alcohol-based clear, water-soluble liquid. Makes me think that acetone (as found in nail varnish remover) or IPA (isopropyl alcohol) or failing those MEK (methyl ethyl keytone) might be a suitable solvents to lift the residue. I'd start with acetone (try a small area first) because it is relatively cheap and not as harmful. MEK, on the other hand, is nasty stuff and both it and IPA are highly flamable and evaporate quickly if the top is left off the container for any length of time

Edit: Our posts crossed whilst I was researching this - sorry for the duplication

Sponsored Links
I still have loads of the product left so I guess I could keep using it until I’ve removed the original finish. What would I then use to replace the finish?
I have the feeling that the solvent action of MMB isn't sufficient and that you need to get rid of the sticky patch by using a stronger solvent. After that I think your best bet is either to strip the entire top and refinish it whole, or possibly to contact Konig UK to see if they can advise on a suitable repair lacquer from their range for a patch repair. The Konig stuff is used by invisible repairers, but it often requires an air brush or small spray outfit to apply

This all sort of underlines what manufacturers say about trying any solvent or cleaning chemical on a small, discrete area before going hog wild...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back