Refinishing a table top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oak table with veneer. We've had it a few years but recently it suffered some damage to the surface (ink transfer from printed paper). Furniture insurance won't cover ink damage. It really needs sanding down and refinishing but I don't know who to turn to.

Any recommendations for West Midlands/Birmingham area?

Sponsored Links
stealthwolf, good evening.

OK up front, I work in the Insurance industry,but, my field is property [buildings] not "Contents insurance"
It sounds odd to me that the scenario you have where damage has been rejected?

Can I ask, who told you you were not covered,and more especially "exactly" why? were you given a "specific" so called exclusion clause, which you can check in your policy booklet

OK up front, I work in the Insurance industry,but, my field is property [buildings] not "Contents insurance"

Can I ask, who told you you were not covered,and more especially "exactly" why? were you given a "specific" so called exclusion clause, which you can check in your policy booklet
Still going to cost a fortune in excess, way more than a diy repair.

Sponsored Links

Staingard insurance. It lists what it covers (spills, scratches etc) and then states anything else is not covered by the policy. Happy to post it up here if required. Chap from Homeserve came to take photos and tried to remove the stains but said it needs to be sanded back. He took photos and sent then off. A while later, staingard told me the claim was rejected as not covered specifically.

claim was rejected as not covered specifically.

You could ask the insurer to how you the precise wording that "excludes" print transfer ? and show you in the policy booklet where print transfer is an exclusion, not simply a "blanket / catch all" get out clause??

It could be argued that print transfer is a form of spillage?

If it were me? I would institute a complaint about the insurers rejection of the claim, as an aside, in Insurance "speak" that is an "expression of dissatisfaction" [suggest you may wish to consider using that phrase if you make a complaint]

As for how to make a "complaint" ? consider going right to the top, make what is called a CEO Complaint, that way you by-pass the normal "fobbing off" which occurs by some, not all insurers, by going direct to the CEO really annoys said CEO.

Just kick up a noise as above, I think that "Staingard" are not one of the bigger players, they operate in a niche market and cover highly specific areas of contents insurance.

Ken

In terms of sanding it, be aware that modern commercial veneers are incredibly thin (often as little as 0.6mm - and that's before they glue it to the timber substrate and sand it), so you may only have 0.4 to 0.5mm of material to work with. For machine sanding that isn't a lot and it is extremely easy to sand through the veneers, especially at the corners and edges (where the natural tendency is to allow the machine th "droop" as it goes over the edge). So it may or may not be possible to sand it in any case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back