Refinish Dining Table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this dineing table which we've had for about 30 years. It has a significant amount of damage to it. Mainly clouding from hot items being placed on the surface, some small chips - probably from being moved a couple of times - and tape residue. The table is expandable so to keep it from opening while moving I taped it. But sadly that's done more damage.

I only am wanting to do the top.

I was thinking I have to do a full sand, clean, fill in chips, stain and varnish to this.

Salik

Attachments

• 20240113_115450.jpg
    20240113_115450.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20240113_115406.jpg
    20240113_115406.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240113_115349.jpg
    20240113_115349.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 27
Sponsored Links
The cloudy marks suggest that it has a french polish. Wet items result in the clouds.

You can use meths and "wire wool" to remove the finish. It will dilute the french polish. Household ammonia will completely break down the polish but will raise the grain.

I suspect that the table may be veneered. You been to be very careful when sanding. The veneer may be as thin as a fingernail. If it is veneered it may be safer to re-polish it. I have only polished thin items such as stair handrails.

The colour of the areas where the polish has chipped off leads me to think that they have used a stained polish, eg

It should be possible to restore the table without removing all of the polish. Hopefully, someone with more experience than me will be able to advise further.

Thanks,

Now that you mention it, a close look at the chips does seem to indicate a veneer. I'll examine it more. Your idea about a re-polish is a good one.

Salik.

if you are in the UK Screwfix do a 0000 wire wool used for fine polishing of wood. I used it on a french polished piano lid with methelayted spirit where a pot plant had caused similar damage and, after re-polishing, it has come up well.

Sponsored Links
Thanks,

Now that you mention it, a close look at the chips does seem to indicate a veneer. I'll examine it more. Your idea about a re-polish is a good one.

Salik.

Once it has been restored, it may be possible add a more resilient (read: modified) polish on top of it, one that will less likely to bloom if it gets wet. eg

Sure, the above is for 5L and you don't need more than 500ml, but it may be possible to find that grade in lower quantities. Before purchasing any, email the supplier to check for compatibility. I would guess, but it is only a guess, that it should be ok given that, AFAIK, all french polishes are alcohol based.

You will be able to find youTube videos that show you how to repair french polished tables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back