Garden Furniture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into a new house and inherited a cast iron garden furniture set. Problem is that the iron was painted an ugly green and the wooden slats aren't in the best of condition.

The set comprises of bench, large table, two chairs and two (very) small tables. I have disassembled all and cleaned, treated and repainted the ironwork.

The wooden slats on the bench were not too bad so I have sanded back to bare wood and re-stained. The bench looks good. The problem I have is that on the rest of the furniture the condition of the wood is worse. It's not just at the ends either (where I could reduce the length of the slats in order to remove the damaged wood).

To begin with I thought I would just go and buy all replacement as it would save me the job of sanding down the existing. However, the dimensions of the slats are 18x55mm and I can't source this from any timber merchant locally. The nearest I can get is 20x45. I can handle the depth (just fits into recess in ironwork) but the reduced width would mean an extra 10mm gap between slats.

As far as I see it I have two choices...
1. Buy new and live with wide gapped furniture
2. Do a bit of cutting and re-work in order to get out the two small tables and two chairs from the remaining wood. That will leave me with no wood for the large table. Purchase 20x70mm slats and get them cut to the correct width.

Anyone know of another solution or source for the wood?

Thanks

Mike

Sponsored Links
You will need hardwood if it's to be strong enough, probably cheaper to replace the lot.

Could you get some timber a little wider and use alternately with the narrow? Or buy something double the width and have it ripped down by the timber yard? By the time it's planed up it would probably be close to your required dimensions.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back