Best Way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

(Originally posted in flooring forum without success so maybe better here?)

Next project will be to turn an existing extension into a utility room with a wetroom on the end.

The existing floor is cement and I thought it be best to lay a sub floor on top of this in order to allow for pipes and waste flow from shower. The remainder of the room I guess may not need raising, can we step up into a wetroom? I suppose my main question is how do I achieve this, joist and ply and how best to do it...?

Total space is only about 8m2 (with only 1.5m2 for shower/wet room).

As an addition the ceiling is what appears to be artex, would you simply skim over the top or remove and start again!?

Thanks for any help/guidance

Sponsored Links
Artex. scrape it flat-ish and skim over, you can use the existing floor and channel out for waste pipes, otherwise screed over it with fibres.
You'll need to tank it, google 'tanking product for wetroom' and you'll find lots of useful info on the various manufacturers websites.

You originally posted the wrong forum really; this one's OK but Tiling would have been even better.

This link might be useful;
http://www.diywetroom.com/products.htm
What's important is that the floor is very rigid or the tiles will fail, the tile base must also be waterproof. Use waterproof tile backer boards (Wedi, Marmox) tape & tank all the joints. If you use cement based moisture resistant boards (Aquapanel, Hardibacker), tank the whole floor area & at least 1/2 way up the walls. Use waterproof backer boards for the walls not plasterboard.

You can plaster over the Artex as Deluks suggests. It must be sealed 24 hours before & how many plaster coats will depend on the depth of the pattern. Not really DIY or something to attempt if you’ve no experience as it’ll most likely end in tears.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back