Bets place to get interior doors for cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I need to replace all internal doors for a cottage. I want ones that look the part and offer good sound-proofing.

Where's a good place to get doors? I went to Wickes yesterday and they have a good selection. I particularly like https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Durham-Internal-Softwood-Door-Clear-Pine-6-Panel-1981x686mm/p/207591 .

- They do an oak-veneer version and a pine version. Oak is twice as much. Are there any benefits (other than look) that an oak-veneer door has over pine? (ie sound proofing)
- Is Wickes a good place for getting doors, or is there a better quality/value place to buy them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I want ones that look the part and offer good sound-proofing.
6 panel doors do not look the part in anything other than a Georgian/Victorian manor house. A cottage would have cottage doors, or at most 4-panel doors (the modern fad for small doors with 6 panels just looks stupid IMO):
s-l300.jpg

But hey ho, style is up to you.

Are there any benefits (other than look) that an oak-veneer door has over pine? (ie sound proofing)
No. All that matters is that it is solid (whether wood or chipboard firedoor, doesn't really matter), obviously the thicker the better, and if you want the best soundproofing then you need draught strips or something to shut off all the gaps. In the old days they used to nail felt padding to doors to keep out the sound of servants!

- Is Wickes a good place for getting doors, or is there a better quality/value place to buy them?
Others can answer this, but alll the building suppliers seem to sell exactly the same stuff as far as I can tell. You choices are basically: local building/DIY supply; online (cheaper for same stuff but you can't hand-pick); or bespoke made to measure (not necessarily as expensive as you might expect).

Last edited:
Thanks Gerry. Interesting what you say about the 6 panel doors. To giev you an indication of the cottage, here are some videos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/64cl5yjxa1b93h8/AADRAb5Rkwr0LtdZDFqFJInTa?dl=0

The bedroom doors are currently the 4 panel style. I thought having 6 panels would give it a bit more visual interest, but if theyre going to look out of place then maybe these would suit better: https://www.diy.com/departments/cot...86mm/176454_BQ.prd?INTD_DBS_COTTAGEDOORS_D_IL

It seems Homebase is maredly more expensive. Wickes and B&Q are about the same.

Sponsored Links
stay away from the oak veneer doors unless you have good square linning or are prepared to change them as above doors arnt for sound proofing
i allways get people to go for the heavier or even fire door versions as they feel as sound so much better than there flimsy brothers

I thought having 6 panels would give it a bit more visual interest, but if theyre going to look out of place then maybe these would suit better:
I think these look good in cottages. Modern style but with a hint of the traditional vertical boarding.
ed_mexicana_modern_internal_interior_oak_fire_door_2.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back