Lock block on solid core door?

Sponsored Links
OldKettle, good evening again.

OK the definition of a solid core can be of interest??

There is a 99 % chance the so called "Solid Core" is in effect chipboard? so a lock Block is required.

Ken

Evening Ken!

I was hoping you weren't going to say that :D

I've gone tapping back and forth along the edge and I can't hear any change that might indicate a lock block, and there is no L or any other obvious marking on the door.

Does anybody have any tips on how to locate it?

Does it matter if I am only fitting a handle/latch, rather than a lock?

Oldkettle,
On my Howdens doors which have a similar construction, I did not notice a lock block, but the internal chipboard core was a super high density construction that took the lock without issue. So I think you should be okay wherever you put the lock.

And a handle latch makes it better as it is a single drill hole to fit it.
Note that they come in two common lengths (63mm and 76mm) so door handle can be closer or further away from door frame. And have seen it where short one was used with big door handle so fingers kept hitting frame.
https://www.screwfix.com/c/security...anagedredirect-_-ironmongery-_-tubularlatches
Sfk

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks SFK.

Given the weight of the door, I get the impression that it is pretty dense, so I will just give it a go.

I have already ordered some 63mm latches, but once I get the handles delivered I'll have a look to see if 76mm might be better.

OldKettle, good evening again.

There is generally ??? an inked on mark on the top of the door on the lock block side, this can take many forms, such as an arrow, or the word block, or indeed lock, over time these inked on marks tend to become lighter, after all the manufacturer is cutting corners and the topping up of the ink to mark the top of the door is not one of their more pressing problems.

Sometimes the door if wrapped will have the lock block marked on the packaging not on the door.

All highly variable and depends on makers whims

Ken.

Hi Ken. Just realised I hadn't responded to your comment. I have checked all around the frame and the only thing stamped is some kind of serial number, so no joy there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back