Reversing door and hinges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking to replace and existing, lightweight, internal door with one of these

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Geneva-Oak-Cottage-5-Panel-Internal-Door---1981mm-x-762mm/p/214699

The spec says it's 27kg but, having carried it upstairs, I would swear it was more.

Anyway, the spec also says that it needs 3 hinges, which is a problem, because I want to reverse it, compared to the existing door (which has two hinges).

The problem is that the latch plate on the frame is in the same position that the middle hinge would go (I'm looking at 6 inches from the top, 9 from the bottom and then centre between those two).

Can I get away with two hinges instead? If not, is it possible to repair the latch plate area sufficiently so that it can support the middle hinge?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

EDIT: On the subject of hinges, these seem to be rated to 80kg fire doors. Would they be OK for use on the above doors?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/union-powerload-lift-off-hinge-zinc-plated-lh-100-x-88mm-3-pack/8113t

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
OldKettle, good evening.

There was a convention several years back when three hinges were in "vogue" the third hinge was generally positioned about [as I recall] 300.mm below the top hinge.

The above was common on commercial reasonably high end door sets?

As for the weight if three hinges so long as they are not the Skeleton ones [ called flush] should be OK as far ad the door sets noted above they tended to be

Wickes Grade 11 Ball Bearing Hinge - Polished Stainless Steel 102mm Pack of 2

These tend to look good on a door?? the proportions are pleasing??

Or

Wickes Rising Butt Hinge Right Hand - Chrome 76mm Pack of 2

The latter on poorer quality door sets?

Ken

The flaps on a 4" (100mm or so) hinge are intended for an external or fire door, which is about 44mm thick, therefore they may be too big for an internal door, which is usually about 35mm thick.

When a third "centre" hinge is used on a heavy door, it is usually fitted slightly above the centre point. Chippies have some complicated rules about hinge position and eye level.

Thanks for the above.

The fire door hinges seem to be 33mm, so I think they will fit, but maybe not ideal.

They are not very expensive so I though I would over-engineer it.

That said, the Wickes ones above seem to also be rated for 80kg so they will probably be fine. I am going to try with a single door to begin with.

Do you reckon 2 will work, or is it better to stick with 3? If 3, can the latch area be repaired and hold a hinge?

Sponsored Links
You'll need to be very accurate with your very sharp chisel.

The ball-bearing hinges are very nice, here is one in the smaller size

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...e-75x50x2mm-satin-stainless-steel-pair-417504

Rather than try to patch up the old latch hole, you can just position the hinge a bit higher. But if it was just a tubular latch (not a sashlock) the hole will be small enough to be unimportant.

Rather than try to patch up the old latch hole, you can just position the hinge a bit higher. But if it was just a tubular latch (not a sashlock) the hole will be small enough to be unimportant.

Unfortunately all the doors I want to reverse are currently sashlock. Below is a picture of one of them. The blue line shows the halfway point between the top and bottom hinges (if the top is at 6 inches and the bottom at 9 inches).

I'm concerned that I would have to go so high that it wouldn't look right.

lULNLzJl.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back