Hinges - Where to put them

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to replace some internal doors in our house and could do with some advice about where to place the hinges.

The original doors were hollow ply and the new ones are heavier solid doors, about 22kg each. The replacement hinges are 3" steal double washered butt hinges with a chrome plating chosen by my wife so no arguing there.

I'm going to put the top hinge at 6" and the bottom at 9" but I'm guessing that two hinges might struggle under the load. If I use three, where should the be placed?

Options seem to be one in the middle or another somewhere near the top. I can see the rationale for either but could do with a steer.

Sponsored Links
You want to put the top and bottom hinges in the same place as the old one's were so you don't have to chisel more out of you door frame, I'd put the third in the middle of the two.

A good quality set of two hinges would hold the 22kg btw.

Gobo.

As above.

Top hinge 6" from top, bottom hinge 9" up from bottom and central hinge is central betwixt the twain.

28.5" centred betwixt the top and bottom hinges. ;)

A good quality set of two hinges would hold the 22kg btw.

Yer, now that's what I was thinking, and I reckon washered 1.8mm steel are fairly robust beasts compared with their brass equivalents but other folk are saying "use 3".

2 at the top will take the weight, 1 in the middle will resist warping, but no one is explaining the need for a third.

"Ho hum" said Pooh

Sponsored Links
Top and bottom are as standard, the third in the middle provides extra support for heavier doors, for older doors the central one also prevents bowing and warping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back