Are All Hinges Equal ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought some 3" brass butt hinges from B&Q and had a nightmare getting the internal (hollow) door to fit. I had done nothing else but replace the hinges but the gap on the hinge side of the door was a few mm wider at the top than the bottom and the door wouldnt close. There were two types one was quite solid , so I got that one, and the other a bit more lightweight but I wouldn't have thought either would have caused a problem as they were the same size as the old one. In the end rather than plane the door I recessed the hinges in the frame a bit more to give me a decent fit. I appreciate the door is probaly a bit out of shape although it looks fine

Is their a quality hierachy in hinges or for most general purposes they are pretty much the same ?

Not saying it would have prevented my problem of course

Sponsored Links
The hinges have to be sunk into the door edge exactly the same depth as the previous, or the door will hinge thru a different line causing problems.
Hinges vary greatly in quality and style and price.

standard hinge
https://metalhardware.co.uk/heavy-d...lP67megA1r7IqbDhaPQ_TNct4yzxbIGxoCekkQAvD_BwE

similar hinge but note the addition of bearings which improve life of hinge.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p5...Tb2OpD4ZrrGC3yCyaA1_GSdqB6qQgRGxoC75kQAvD_BwE

A cheap hinge will have a small pivot pin compared to a better quality hinge which will alter the overall width of door and hinge when swopping from one to the other.

Last edited:
I reckon that was it foxhole.

The different line was causing the problem. Didnt help that the door frame is 4mm wider at the to than the bottom. Hinges must have been adjusted to make the door fit prviously. Had to recess the hinges a tiny bit as the hinges bought are different. Its very subtle but there is a distinct difference between old and ne. Door fits fine now with the hinges recessed a couple of mm.

I nearly bought the ones with bearings as well

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back