UPVC Patio door hinge replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got an apartment in Turkey, and a UPVC double glazed patio door which opens inwards on butt hinges isn't fitted properly. It doesn't seem quite square and the top of the door scrapes the frame as closes. though lower down there is a gap. The 4 hinges are not adjustable, and also today the top one broke, under stress probably.

I'd like to take the door off and fit 4 new hinges of the adjustable type, but think it might be a harder job than it looks. The door is about 180cm by 80cm, so will be heavy.

I think new hinges of better quality would mean fitting in slightly different places to avoid the existing screw holes, and just putting some sort of white plastic caps in where any holes are showing from the old hinges.

What sort of things should I be aware of when fitting new hinges? I think attaching to the door first then offering up to mark the frame seems the way to go, but I think this is easier said than done, and accuracy will be important, but with a heavy door and just me to man handle it might get out of hand.

Any tips to help me line it up and fit new hinges? And as I'm starting with new hinges any specific type I should go for?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Now I think I would remove the glass to reduce the weight of the door before attempting to take it off and replace the hinges.

I do have another question regarding hinges though. What are the pros and regarding flag or butt hinges? I can use either, though flag might be a better choice as I can position them out of the way the old screw holes on the frame and maybe do a better job of hiding them with caps that way.

Flags, or butts?

yes remove the glass and go with flag i would. easier to do on your own

Sponsored Links
Yes I thought flag looked better, more adjustment should allow a bit more room for error on my part when fitting.

To those in know about hinges, is there a preferred make to go for? Nexus seem to have the most adjustment, so was going to get those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back