Non-standard internal door height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m getting a stud wall put up in a converted loft. The space behind the wall will be used for storage. It’ll be panelled and a ‘hidden’ door will be added.

The tradesman recommended a flush internal door like this: https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Flush-Primed-Paint-Grade-Internal-Door-1981-x-762mm/p/239052

However as the door will have the ceiling slopes either side it’s too big. Ideally I need a two third height door. The product info says a marginal amount can be trimmed so I imagine you can’t just lop 500mm off the top or bottom as it’ll be into the hollow core?

A quick search showed bespoke sized doors can be had, but the one I found was over £225.

Is there a cheaper option? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is there a cheaper option? Thanks.

The cheap option is to buy the panel door you linked to and do a none advised modification. The door will simply be a hollow pair of panels, filled with 'egg-box, with a timber frames surround. Hence cutting it down to height, there will be no timber at one end. In a similar situation, what I did was break out the end piece of timber, from the section cut off, then after cleaning it up, removed enough of the 'egg-box', to insert the timber. I then glued the timber on each side, clamped it until the glue dried, as well as drilling for and adding 6mm pins at each side.

i have a lot of doors which are small in my bungalow - no idea why , and they have used hollow doors and when i took them all off to redo the thresholds and hinges, i found a lot of the bottoms had no wood in

so i just fitted and glued some in to the door and then fitted to the new thresholds, one which had a false floor , i had to also add some more hardboard and then i used filler , sanded and repainted .... you have to look to notice

Sponsored Links
The hollow core can be filled with a piece of wood planed to fit and glued in (y)
The door will simply be a hollow pair of panels, filled with 'egg-box, with a timber frames surround.
so i just fitted and glued some in to the door and then fitted to the new thresholds,

Cheers guys, this is perfect. Think I can crack on following these tips.

This sort of thing?

Kind of. That would be the door shape I’d need roughly. But I don’t want the visible door frames. It’ll blend into the panelling. And as it’s not for general access just for storage I don’t need to be as exact as you’ve got there. This is the picture the wife found when she decided she wanted the wall putting up:

1cf032ce5adc13328a1f354e8762bfa0.png

I’ll post a picture once I’ve had a crack in a week or 2.

All done, took a bit longer than a week or 2 as always. Went with the intricate top as per @Wayners image. Pretty happy with the result.
IMG_4575.jpeg

IMG_4609.jpeg

IMG_5906.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back