Non Standard doors in Old House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My daughter has recently bought a house which is in need of some tlc before she moves in. To keep costs down, I'm doing most of the work myself and consider myself a very competent DIYer.

The latest job is to fit some new internal doors, having removed all the old ones which were in pretty bad shape and not really worth saving. They were a mix of solid pine and hollow core doors which were poorly butchered to fit and not one was the same style as any of the others.

We have 6 door openings with the following dimensions (mm):

1880 x 730
1900 x 700
1935 x 700
1945 x 690
1960 x 760
1965 x 725

She has seen these hollow core doors in Wickes which she really likes:

which are 1981mm high and 4 various widths - 610mm, 686mm, 762mm and 838mm.

Details of the doors indicate they can only be trimmed by 10mm and so I'm thinking I might be able to make them into custom sizes. For the height, I thought I could make a cut to remove the top rail where it's contoured, then remove the required amount from the field of the door and re-attach the top rail:

This would keep the top & bottom rails in proportion and also keep the lock block at the same height from the floor.

I should add that I have a plunge saw the same as this one, so accurate, square cuts won't be a problem:

As for the widths, I might get away with the standard doors for 4 of them (using 3 x 686mm and 1 x 762mm) with a bit of frame packing and trimming but for the other 2, I'll be removing 32mm & 37mm in total, so using a similar method, I can remove the wood frame from the side:

then remove the required amount of material and re-insert the frame piece using pins and glue.

I realise this is a lot of work, but I have the time, tools and ability so would you give it a go? What we don't have is a budget that stretches to custom made doors, so these cheap hollow core doors will have to do for now.

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give.

Sponsored Links
Some of the cheaper hollow doors are actually hollow not even a lump of polystyrene . So make taking the edge off difficult .
Quite easy to copy that style with mdf doors using a router to give the panel effect .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back