Trimming internal door more than reccomended max

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I need to replace my internal doors and I'm having problems finding standard glazed doors that will fit my french doors frame.
The frame 1270 wide giving an individual door size of 635 The closest width door I can purchase is 686 wide which would leave me to trim more than the stated maximum of 12mm from the door. 51mm in fact, IE 25.5mm from each edge.
Is this do-able or or is there a technical reason I can't do that?
The door I'm looking at is the Wickes Newland glazed door here - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-New...Panel-Internal-Door---1981mm-x-686mm/p/206661

My budget is very tight so getting bespoke doirs made isn't really an option and the doors listed as a french door set are either too narrow or way to wide.

I'm a mid skill DIY'er.
Advice very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Depends on the core material of the door. Most low to medium.quality doors these days seem to have a 6 to 10mm hardwood lipping on the outer edges on a chipboard core. Do you know what the construction of the doors is?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I know it's not solid pine that's for sure.
The Wickes website describes it here -
"
  • Constructed from mixed materials including solid and laminated timbers
  • Engineered construction for greater resistance to warping, twisting and splitting than traditional timber doors.
  • FSC certified"
I'm not sure if that means there is enough wood to trim the requored amount or not?

Probably not. Sounds like it could be a faced lamin-board core door. I'm also concerned that cutting them down too much would destroy the proportions of rail to stile dimensions

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem when changing the door on our downstairs toilet. It needed too much taken off of each wood trimmed edge and would have gone down to chipboard on both sides. I had most of it taken off of the hinge side so you could only see it from inside if the door was open.

C2890117-BEDF-4F89-80A5-347A37C8D61D.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back