Between Floor Insulation/Sound Proofing Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Mum and I recently moved into a Chalet Bungalow which was built sometime in the 70's. Long story short, my Mum gets cold really easily and I tend to overheat. She's let me have the upstairs rooms (the original 70's construction and a loft conversion done sometime in the 80's) but as heat rises it gets really hot up there. Even with all the upstairs radiators turned down, in the winter I get too hot. I also want some soundproofing as one of the rooms will be a gaming room but it's directly above my Mum's bedroom so need to help deaden the sound!

So I was thinking of putting some between floor insulation in. Is this a worthwhile effort do you think? One of the rooms is currently empty and will be easy to remove the floorboards, but the other two rooms will be more challenging.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I could use, either between floors or, if you think that's a fools errand, perhaps something I could lay on the floor under the carpet that might have some insulating and sound proofing effect?

Thanks in advance!
Ex.

Sponsored Links
Any Rockwool or loft-insulation-type roll insulation will do what you want. Use standard stuff if heat insulation is the priority, but use Rockwool acoustic insulation is soundproofing is the priority. The loft stuff has more air trapped in it (better for heat insulation), and the acoustic stuff is denser (better for keeping sound out). Personally I'd just get the cheapest loft insulation I could find and use that.

cheers
Richard
(inhabitant of dormer bungalow)

Thanks for your reply Richard.

I was looking at getting some Rockwool Flexi for the soundproofing, but my joists are off; some are 41cm, some 42cm, some 39cm! All over the shop! And that's on the original part of the house, I can't currently get to the joists on the extension part, so who knows what those will be?!

So I think I'll go with your suggestion of regular loft insulation. Silly question, are they all glass-fibre still or is there a natural alternative I can pick up from a shed? I like Rockwool, we've had that as cavity wall insulation in a few houses and it's always performed, but I've not seen it readily available in the usual places.

Thanks again!
Ex.

Last edited:
Dense mineral wool batts are readily available, and will absorb sound better than loft quilt, which is mostly made of air. You can cut it with a breadknife, and it will squash enough to fit tightly between joists and take up minor irregularity.

If you do decide to get loft fibre, look for one treated with Ecose, it does not shed irritant dust and fibres. It is made by Knauf but also sold under various own-brands.

Sponsored Links
Last edited:
If you get the choice between glass fibre and mineral wool, go for the latter, as it's less unpleasant to work with. In either case wear gloves, long sleeves and a mask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back