Insulation Between Floors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I can see a few threads about this but the last one was 2016.

I recently renovated the two bedrooms for my kids. The floors above our lounge, the rooms has very old split panels that creak, there is a cavity under the floor then the ceiling below. Both rooms have some cabling and the circuit pipes for the rads. The rads have not been clipped to the joists and the rooms just make the house shake! It's very stressful and I wish I have done it before having the the carpets laid.

I plan to remove the carpet and rip up all the old floor boards then stuff the joists with a sound proofing insulation then replacing the entire floor with a 18mm x 1200 x 300mm chip board (tongue and groove) with expanding glue.

(and of course clip the pipes to the rad)

Can anyone recommend a good soundproofing (taking into account price) I'm on a budget.... and open to critique :)

Sponsored Links
Rockwool sound insulation slab, plywood, with lots of screws will be better too if funds permit.

Thanks for the reply, Ply over tongue and groove chipboard ?

Re in insulation, if the gap is 200, do I need to fill this height? example rook wool is 100mm so I need two slaps high?

Last edited:
You don't need any insulation. If your budget permits, then 200mm of insulation would be better than 100mm.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother, especially as you've used the word "soundproofing" - you'll be sorely disappointed by the result compared to your indicated expectations.

Now if you want to rip out the wooden floors and replace them with block and beam, different story..

if your heavy footed the units in the room shake! At least a new floor. would help tie this together?

It sounds like your problem is that the joists and their spacings are not adequate for the span, rather than [or as well as] a lack of insulation.

Ive put 100mm slab insulation under bathroom and ensuite floors + in the walls which hasn't made a jot if difference...

Dense fibreglass batts are available. They are better for deadening sound than lightweight loft insulation.

Expanded foam is pretty well useiess.

IMO ply is a better floor than chipboard. Screwed tightly down it will add rigidity. Screw struts between the joists to support any cut edges that do not lie on a joist. Put the largest sheets in traffic areas at doorways and the middle of the room, fill in round the edges with pieces cut to size. Put the factory edges together as they will be straighter and squarer than your own cuts.

Mark the positions of pipes and cables on the new floor, and do any pipe or cable work while you have them up.

If you have any holes in the ceiling for pipes and cables, seal them with fire foam. If you have big holes for downlighters, add smoke hoods or make your own plasterboard covers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back