Beware of doing you're own electrical work - Scotland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

just passing on my recent experience in the hope that it'll same someone some grief...

We have made some fairly major changes to our house the most relevant (to this saga) of which is relocating the kitchen. Prior to starting work we realised that, in order to do it properly we would need a building warrant and the electrical work would have to be certified.

Our investigations prior to commencing the work indicated that there was no restriction on us doing the work provided it was certified before being put into service.

With the work completed (ie cables run, FCUs, sockets, cooker outlet, switches etc fitted) but none of it connected to the consumer unit we have contacted a number of electricians / electrical contracters to get it tested, connected to the consumer unit and certified.

We have been told that the contratcors cannot certify the installation as they didn't do the work. One contractor has looked at it and says the work is to a high standard and he sees no problem with it however SELECT (the Scottish Electrical Contarctors Trade Association) has instructed it's members that they cannot certify work they didn't perform.

Apparently they could certify it if they had made periodic inspections. I don't have a problem with this what I do have a problem with is that neither the local council, the building warrant, or SELECT make it clear that this is the case.

At the moment we are making further enquiries into if / how we can proceed however it would appear that worst case scenario is that we have to get the kitchen re-wired (which would involve removing the newly installed units, worktops, flooring etc etc.

I should probably point out that as a student I spent 6 months, working for an electrical contractor, as part of a team rewiring housing in a council estate and subsequently worked installing navigation & IT systems in a marine environment.

Whilst I appreciate that this doesn't give me an in depth knowledge of the latest IEEE standards I'm pretty sure that the work that has been done is safe and complies with the relevant legislation (our reason for getting it checked was to confirm his).

So the question is where is the incentive to "do it by the book" when you can do it off the record then wait a few years and apply for a letter of comfort from the council?

Rant over....

Sponsored Links
The council may accept a Periodic Inspection Report rather than an EIC, ask them (they do in Glasgow).

You do not have to use a SELECT (or NICEIC) registered electrician to provide certificates (despite what SELECT or the local council may say, although if the council say it you may have to as it's them who issue the completion cert . . . ). Depending on your skills and if you're up for a bit of reading and hiring test equipment you COULD do the cert (EIC) yourself and there wouldn't be an issue with someone signing off work which isn't theirs.

Yes you're correct, it's actually CHEAPER as well to get a letter of comfort because you don't have to get plans drawn up :rolleyes:

Yes in general people don't have a clue about the system and how it's supposed to work, neither do the authorities in many cases it seems. Also there are many rogue 'electricians' around who do installs not to regs and with no paperwork at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back