bg summer shift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
most of ya hav prob guessed but for the 1's that ant i wrk for british gas and the summer rosters are cumin up! (where we hav 3 rest days).
ive jus got me summer shifts through and noticed that on 3 of the bank holiday wkends my manager has put all the engineers (apart from the ones that are wrkin the wkend) as having the monday as a rest day. we can claim the hr's back in lou but can only claim 7.4hr's where as we'd need 8.5 to book a day off, so he's managing to get an extra 3hrs out of each engineer.
jus wanting some opinions, is he aloud to do this? do ya think it's unreasonable? and if ya work for bg has your manager done this?

Sponsored Links
i think if your normal day is 8.5 hours then you should book 8.5 hours in lou, or when you have a day off just book 7.4 hours
yes i am also bg engineer but do 5 days in summer.

sounds like a classic management wheeze.

i'd just phone in sick on the tuesday, that'll claw some hours back :D

Sponsored Links
just go home an hour early the next day

sounds like a classic management wheeze.

i'd just phone in sick on the tuesday, that'll claw some hours back :D

iam on sickness review :LOL:

lol everyone is on sickness review aren't they?

seriously, i would phone him and ask him directly why he's done it. if he dithers about and doesnt answer then ask him to move you to another day.

if he wont then id take it to the union. when they do nothing because they have had their brown envelopes from BG that week, i'd phone in sick the next day....or finish an hour early the next day.

if you can claim 7.4 hours off, maybe claim them, and ask him what he'd expect you to do in the one hour's work he wants you to be coming in for.

Its all something to do with a day being an average over the year...don't worry about it just go home half an hour early every Friday for 6 weeks.

Its all something to do with a day being an average over the year...don't worry about it just go home half an hour early every Friday for 6 weeks.

that sounds about right actually.

id still ask to be moved to another day.

trouble is me n him aren't on the best of terms and i think he'll jus try pullin me for everythin if i did some of the suggestions :LOL: think its him checkin up on me already!

7.4hrs comes about due to it being the AVERAGE working day....34hrs summer and 40 hrs winter. you can only claim this back so that you dont score more than a day off on a summer shift.

as for the day off it depends on your shift and if you do a 4 day roster then yes you have to take 8.5hrs to get a day he is correct but you are already gettting another day off as you do your hours in the long run.

5 day week and you only need to claim 7 or 6.75hrs

trouble is me n him aren't on the best of terms and i think he'll jus try pullin me for everythin if i did some of the suggestions :LOL: think its him checkin up on me already!

Welcome to Bg, come join the mass exodus with us :!: , I think there is currently a drive to catch out as many engineers on disciplinary offences as they possibly can, dunno why either so they can say "look how good and safe we are are as we have caught out x number of our engineers", or the main reason all the fraud and bs goes on...managers bonus :rolleyes:

One week in four on my current summer roster reads as follows:

Monday: Off
Tuesday: Off
Wednesday: 8:00-7.30
Thursday:8:00-7:00
Friday: 8:00-6:30
Saturday: 08:00-5.30

To me this just seems like they are getting standby work out of me for no retainer or OT payments. Apparently they arent set in stone yet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back