Bi-Fold Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We want to have a bi-fold patio door fitted and regular double glazing.

I went to a wholesaler to price up and all the double glazing is reasonable. However, the bi-fold doors are sold differently. Although they are displayed, they say they don't actually sell them. Apparently I have to buy through their recommended company and they supply and fit them.

I don't have a problem with this except the price, I think it is quite high at £3800 for a four door bi-fold. On-top of this, they don't actually do any building work - ie, we have to get a builder out to extend the opening and fit a new lintel if we need it.

Am I right in thinking this is a bit silly and complicated? I would have thought, putting a lintel in place properly is something that the Fensa Cert is supposed to cover.

Comments appreciated.
Thanks
George73

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they only supply or possibly manufacture UPVC and buy in the bifolds.
Are the bifolds UPVC or aluminium?

Fensa certificate won't cover the lintels or making the opening wider , thats a building control issue

Sponsored Links
we have to get a builder out to extend the opening and fit a new lintel if we need it.

Am I right in thinking this is a bit silly and complicated? I would have thought, putting a lintel in place properly is something that the Fensa Cert is supposed to cover.

It used to but it was still no guarantee the lintel was put in properly, I think a window company can still do the work as opposed to a builder but they can't self cert it anymore

Bifold a have been the bane of my build thread to date :LOL:

There are soooooooo many companies out there doing bifolds and prices vary considerably as do recommendations.

I specifically built my extension for the purpose and both building control and structural engineers have been involved.

None of the bifold companies have ever stated they would do the work other than provide the 'fitters' on request, and if use don't use their approved fitters it affects your warranty anyway.

I've just ordered mine from a local company supplying schuco brand bifolds

I bought my aluminium bifolds from expressbifldingdoors.co.uk, they priced for supply & fitting, including removing a course of bricks to achieve a low/flush threshold. I paid about £4000 in total for three leaf doors spanning about 3m. Whilst the doors are great, their fitters are complete and utter imbeciles and I wouldn't let express onto my property ever again. The quality of their work beggars belief. Had to have them back numerous times to finally get them installed properly, and I still have no faith thats its actually been done right. Avoid this firm at all costs.

Heres the quality of their brick laying skills, having cut down a course of bricks and relaid using plastic packers and expanding foam!!!!!, and removing the DPC. Utter ******* of the highest order.

IMG_6450_zps9c99ce35.jpg

IMG_6447_zps3d303085.jpg

IMG_6437_zpsa3040f63.jpg

**** me thats atrocious!!!

I have a different company fitting mine on the 11th, I'm a bit miffed I'm going to be at work so can't be present during the fitting BUT I have asked my father to be present, he's been a builder all his life and has help me from the day I started my own extension so he knows what he's doing.

He won't stand for crap like that and they certainly won't be paid if its not done right.

Its not the same company, but the company I'm using use contractors as do most to fit them

Thats just one of the many fukc ups they performed. Another was not putting any foam etc in the gaps between the frames and the brickwork, leaving completely uninsulated voids.

If I was going through this again I would secrete my GoPro cam in the garden and film their complete incompetence.

Gutted for you mate, you must have been fuming!!!

4K is a lot of money to shell out and get incompetence in return!

My doors are 4K and the fitting is paid direct to the fitters on completion of the install which is 600 quid, hence I have concerns at the moment and I won't be back in the country until the 16th!!!

expressbifolds make you pay up front, with a tiny balance to pay on completion, so they have you over a barrel. My fault for choosing them, never again. They had to return about 5 times, each time they created brand new fukc ups that had to be rectified by yet more incompetent fitters.

Thankfully the issues have been rectified and the doors themselves are great..

P1020441_zpsulljj9dy.jpg

P1020435_zpsy2d5uxrj.jpg

I do not think there is a company out there that do not require most if not ALL of the payment for the doors before fitting.

I know for a fact that the initial company i considered due to their reputation was foldingslidingdoors.com but the fact they wanted full payment on making an order put me off straight away.

The company I am using take 50% on order and then the final 50% 2 days before delivery/fitting, its crap I know!!! its on the fitters who don't get paid until the job is intact complete.

Glad you got yours sorted and they do look good :)

Thanks.

If going through this again id definitely be out there watching them do the install if possible. Im far from being an expert on the subject, but id definitely have spotted the lack of foam in the voids and the crap brickwork. I didn't oversea the installation, I left them to it. Big mistake.

Having the doors fully open on a hot day is brilliant. If buying again id seriously consider having internal blinds inside the glass. I discounted them at the time as its impossible to repair them if they break, and were £250/leaf (£750). Instead we have fitted venetian blinds but its a bit of a pain having to open them everyone we go outside (which we do multiple times a day) and closing them again.

Im sure you dad will ensure its done properly, and I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Thanks.

If going through this again id definitely be out there watching them do the install if possible. Im far from being an expert on the subject, but id definitely have spotted the lack of foam in the voids and the crap brickwork. I didn't oversea the installation, I left them to it. Big mistake.

Having the doors fully open on a hot day is brilliant. If buying again id seriously consider having internal blinds inside the glass. I discounted them at the time as its impossible to repair them if they break, and were £250/leaf (£750). Instead we have fitted venetian blinds but its a bit of a pain having to open them everyone we go outside (which we do multiple times a day) and closing them again.

Im sure you dad will ensure its done properly, and I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Thanks for posting. I will definitely make sure I steer well clear of the company you used. I can't believe how poor the fitting is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back