Biasi 24SE dhw problem (heat exchanger question)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been on here before and Agile and Chris R were awesome for help.

Problem: Leak from inside the boiler. Looked like it was on the incoming water supply but I soon realised it was coming from the heat exchanger (just behind water incomer, on dhw side). Removed HE and found gasket had perished. Ordered 4 new ones so I could replace them all and did so successfully.
Unfortunately, when I filled the system back up and turned on the water supply, I had a slight drip coming from where it had been originally. Thinking it couldn't be from HE seals, I checked the incomer connection for tightness and eventually checked the gasket. That turned out to be in a bad condition so I replaced that too (1/2" fibre from plumbers merchant, and when that didn't work, actual part from Biasi).

Hooray, it stopped leaking! Until today that is. Removed HE to check seals were all in placeand that there was no surface distortion, and then reseated again successfully. I now think the HE may be physically failing. Is this possible? (welds seperating?). It doesn't look bad at all but I know water under pressure will find a way to escape.

At a loss and trying to avoid new HE.

By the way. I'm losing water as a drip every 2 secs or so.

Thanks chaps.

Sponsored Links
A leak from union type connections can sometimes be caused by a split in the union face (if copper).
Look for hair lined cracks where the manufacture has stamped the end of the copper to form the flat face the nut sits up against.
If you find one and are a bit handy with the blowlamp they can be repaired.

Thanks matey, good idea, didn't think of that, I'll dismantle and have a closer look.

I guess the blow torch comes in by heating it up and sealing the crack?

Sponsored Links
he he, yeah sorry, should've made that a bit clearer :). Now if I had a furnace......... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back