Biasi Boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, I have a Biasi Riva Advance HE boiler.

I bought a flat a year ago which i have been working on since. I fully checked the boiler at the time and it worked no problems.

I have now tried to power it on for the first time this year. I have brought the pressure level up. However it is not firing up.

The Green light on the left hand side flashes and you can hear a clicking sound, the green LED on the right hand side then comes on and followed by a few more tries the red middle light comes on. It then contiues this cycle. The valves beneath the boiler are all pointing vertically (on)

The gas has been checked with the suppier and the gas supply lever is fully on.

Does anyone have any ideas what i can check?

Thank you so much for any replies :)

Sponsored Links
You need to tell me EXACTLY what each light is doing then I will tell you what your boiler thinks is wrong!

Also what is the serial number?

Tony

You need to tell me EXACTLY what each light is doing then I will tell you what your boiler thinks is wrong!

Tony

Hi there, i am unsure as to the serial number at the moment i will get that as soon as im down at the flat.

When i switch the boiler on..........

1. The Green LED on the left flashes on and off slowly every 4 seconds......

2. After a few seconds the right Green LED then flashes at the same rate as the LED on the right and at this point you hear a clicking sound from the boiler.

3. After around 1 minute the Right Green LED conitues to flash slowly and the RED LED stays solid

4. After around another 30 seconds the Red light goes off and the sequence goes back to step 2 with the two flashing Green LED's and the clicking sound from the boiler.

Tony

Hi there, i am unsure as to the serial number at the moment i will get that as soon as im down at the flat.

Well that is not the correct operation! Or more likely you have not described it correctly.

You leave the power connected to the boiler and then the left LED flashed every second!

If the functionswitch is on the "O" position then there is a short flash every 4 seconds?

So what is it really doing?

2. After a few seconds the right Green LED then flashes at the same rate as the LED on the right and at this point you hear a clicking sound from the boiler.

How on earth can the right LED do anything other than exactly what the ( same ) right LED is doing?

If there is a demand for CH then the two greeen flash alternately !!!

3. After around 1 minute the Right Green LED conitues to flash slowly and the RED LED stays solid

If the red is on and the right flashing then that is not a valid fault code!

If its really doing that then it seems that the PCB is faulty !

4. After around another 30 seconds the Red light goes off and the sequence goes back to step 2 with the two flashing Green LED's and the clicking sound from the boiler.

If there is a fault then the boiler should stay in the fault condition! Thats further indication that the PCB is failed.

So far you have not quoted the exact model !!! The PCBs are different! a possibility of just one out of FOUR ! Quite expensive too at about £185.

You have not given the serial number. It may still be under the warrantee.

Are you really a landlord who is not living there? If so then it would have been better to have disclosed that at the outset.

If not under the warrantee then its best to get a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links

Tony

Well that is not the correct operation! Or more likely you have not described it correctly.

You leave the power connected to the boiler and then the left LED flashed every second!

If the functionswitch is on the "O" position then there is a short flash every 4 seconds?

So what is it really doing?

How on earth can the right LED do anything other than exactly what the ( same ) right LED is doing?

If there is a demand for CH then the two greeen flash alternately !!!

If the red is on and the right flashing then that is not a valid fault code!

If its really doing that then it seems that the PCB is faulty !

If there is a fault then the boiler should stay in the fault condition! Thats further indication that the PCB is failed.

So far you have not quoted the exact model !!! The PCBs are different! a possibility of just one out of FOUR ! Quite expensive too at about £185.

You have not given the serial number. It may still be under the warrantee.

Are you really a landlord who is not living there? If so then it would have been better to have disclosed that at the outset.

If not under the warrantee then its best to get a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

i must appolgise its been a long day and my brains a bit fried and im stressed out! The boiler is down at my flat which i am not living in at the moment due to work being done to it.

1. You are correct the Green LED on the left flashes on and off every second......

2. Should have read - After a few seconds the right Green LED then flashes at the same rate as the LED on the left and at this point you hear a clicking sound from the boiler. The two green led lights do flash alternatly.

3. Should read - After around 1 minute of step 2 the left Green LED conitues to flash slowly and the RED LED stays solid.

4. is correct it then goes round in a cycle continuously

The PCB i would hope should be ok as it was a brand new boiler about 18 months ago. Would it be unusual for it to go wrong from just sitting off for a year?

Yes i am the landlord who has not been living there for the last year due to diy work.

Thanks

Anything can go wrong at any time! The boiler has a two year warrantee but this should have a service at the end of the first year to validate it.

In this case the indication is encouraging! Maybe there is no water pressure, the gauge should show about 1.5 Bar.

If thats OK then the pump needs "spinning" as the rotor has seized from having the power disconnected. Always leave power connected and the boiler runs the pump every day or so.

Look in the FAQ on this site for instructions or call me from site. You will need a wide flat screwdriver and a smaller about 4-5 mm flat blade.

Tony

If thats OK then the pump needs "spinning" as the rotor has seized from having the power disconnected. Always leave power connected and the boiler runs the pump every day or so.

Tony

That was it!!! it needed spinning it was quite stiff so i turned it a few times. I powered the boiler up and it started working!!

The boiler however is not heating anything. I could see/hear the boiler doing its checks and it filling with water and the radiators filling up.

No hot water was being produced and eventually the boiler stops and goes into the lock out mode. When i press the red button to unlock it it kicks back into life and you can hear the clicking and sounding like its igniting. I have done this around 10 times and it keeps locking out.

The Right LED and the Left LED bloth flash alternatly while the Red button in the middle stays solid. I had a look at the manual and mentions that it means a lack of burner ignition? could this be because the pilot light isnt coming on? (which i am unsure how to check or where)

Thanks for your help on this so far :)!

Is the gas supply turned on?

Do you have a working gas hob?

Is the yellow tap vertical?

There may just be air in the gas pipe. It might light if you do it a few more times.

Tony

if you can hear water "filling the radiators"

i would bleed all the rads remembering to top up pressure and make sure the auto air vent on the boiler is open

Is the gas supply turned on?

Do you have a working gas hob?

Is the yellow tap vertical?

There may just be air in the gas pipe. It might light if you do it a few more times.

Tony

Unfortunatly I dont have a gas hob. The yellow tap is vertical and the gas supply is turned on at the gas meter and i have called British Gas to ensure the supply is still live which it is.

The gas pipe was re-routed as part of the renovation.

I will give it a good few tries when i am at the flat in an hour.

If you can hear water then that implies there is air in the pipework.

Are you keeping the pressure topped up to about 1.5 Bar and bleeding the rads?

Can you reconfirm the fault code if this persists?

If pipework for gas has been replaced then that should have been by a registered gas emgineer who should have purged all the air out of the pipes.

Was he registered and did he purge the pipes?

Tony

If you can hear water then that implies there is air in the pipework.

Are you keeping the pressure topped up to about 1.5 Bar and bleeding the rads?

Can you reconfirm the fault code if this persists?

If pipework for gas has been replaced then that should have been by a registered gas emgineer who should have purged all the air out of the pipes.

Was he registered and did he purge the pipes?

Tony

GOT IT!! :D the boiler is now working provding Central Heating and Hot Water.

I was wrongly informed by the plumbers of the Gas 'On' position of the gas pipe. He is a registered engineer however he wrongly informed me that the gas is on when the lever is pointing up or down and not sitting horizontal.

Tony I cant thank you enough for the help and i can finally get moved into my flat!!! I've also learnt alot about the boiler from you

BingoBongo i bled the radiators to get all the air i could out as well :)

If thats the valve at the meter then it should have a label showing the on and off positions.

The gas engineer should have pointed that out to you as it does not meet regulations and perhaps fitted the label for you. We charge £1 for fitting the label but that covers the free advice in advising you its non compliant.

I have about 15 rolls of labels and each perhaps contains about 3000 labels.

Tony

If thats the valve at the meter then it should have a label showing the on and off positions.

The gas engineer should have pointed that out to you as it does not meet regulations and perhaps fitted the label for you. We charge £1 for fitting the label but that covers the free advice in advising you its non compliant.

I have about 15 rolls of labels and each perhaps contains about 3000 labels.

Tony

The tape is there it just wasnt very clear what it meant but maybe thats just because im a novice :)

The plumber was unsure whether the boiler would need a vent on the door to help the boiler to breath. Its in a large enclosed cupboard and is vented out the side through the granite wall. He mentoned that some boilers do not need to have a vent on the door and was unsure whether i would need one.

Would you recommend one for this boiler?

Biasi boilers dont need vents in the compartment and indeed few modern boilers do any more.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back