Biasi Riva Compact M90E 24S - Not Firing Up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My boiler was working fine on Thursday morning, but came back home from work to find the red lock out light flashing every second. The green power light is on solid, but the fire was not ignited. Pressure is fine, at 1.5 bars. Tried the reset button but it didn't do anything. Switched the electricity to the boiler off then back on but still the same. Switching the boiler on and turning on the hot water taps (separately and at the same time) didn't trigger anything to start up in the boiler.
Also bled the radiators in case there was excess air or dirt in the system, but all fine. So just cold water runs from the hot water taps.
Any ideas or suggestions at all please? I've had the boiler since 2007. If you need anymore information please let me know.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Boiler make and model might help a little.

Hi Snes,

It's in the title - the boiler is Biasi Riva Compact, model M90E 24S.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

My boiler was working fine on Thursday morning, but came back home from work to find the red lock out light flashing every second. The green power light is on solid, but the fire was not ignited. Pressure is fine, at 1.5 bars. Tried the reset button but it didn't do anything. Switched the electricity to the boiler off then back on but still the same. Switching the boiler on and turning on the hot water taps (separately and at the same time) didn't trigger anything to start up in the boiler.
Also bled the radiators in case there was excess air or dirt in the system, but all fine. So just cold water runs from the hot water taps.
Any ideas or suggestions at all please? I've had the boiler since 2007. If you need anymore information please let me know.

Many thanks.
@Agile will probably be along in a minute - he's good with Biasi boilers - but for what it's worth I'd guess at an air pressure switch fault in which case it's time to call a Gas Safe engineer.

There are several possibilities.

But all that you can check is that there is a gas supply as evidenced by a working hob for example.

Everything else will need a gas reg engineer.

Unlikely to be anything as simple as an air pressure switch.

At my prices I would be asking a customer to budget for up to £223.

Tony

Hi all,

Thank you for your help. I've had a few engineers look at my boiler, and 3 so far have diagnosed the PCB as the issue. Obviously no one can say for certain that once the PCB is replaced, that another part is faulty further down the cycle but, c'est la vie.

Got some prices, but was looking online and curious if I would be able to fix in the new PCB myself? A lot of comments mention that they were careful to plug in the correct components into the new one and taking photos, so I wanted to get your advise on this. Is it a simple process, do I need a gas safe engineer to carry out this replacement and are there any further checks/testing involved once replaced?

Many thanks.

In theory a DIYer could change the PCB.

But you don't know if that is where the fault really lies.

Further complicated by maybe not knowing exactly which model of PCB is needed.

But what worries me more is that you seem to have tricked several engineers into giving you a free diagnosis just so that you can fix it yourself!

If an engineer is paid to diagnose the fault and gets it wrong then you don't have to pay for any parts not required to repair it.

But if you trick an engineer into giving a free diagnosis then what if he is wrong?

Some are clever enough to work out what you are trying to do and may give you intentionally wrong information hoping you will go out and waste money on buying something which is not the cause of the fault.

I would have a full time but unpaid job if I went round giving free diagnoses!

Tony

Tony,

What worries me is the fact you have identified that a number of heating engineers are likely to 'con' an unsuspecting and trusting member of the public into wasting their own money.

I'm sure the poster contacted multiple P&H engineers for peace of mind, to reassure them that they were not 'being taken for a ride'.

Throughout that, there was likely a consideration as to the expected cost (which you've identified yourself as likely to be in excess of £200) and a thought for completing the work as a DIYer, thus saving money. Do we not all make similar considerations daily? Should I buy that sandwich, or can I make it at home cheaper? Do I pick Subway, Greggs or another establishment? All of these decisions often boil down to one thing, £££!
Did I waste someone's time earlier today because I asked them to tell me how much a jacket potato was for lunch before deciding on an egg mayo sandwich? No, I exercised my right to choose a product (or service) best suited to my personal needs - as it happens the jacket was £2.50 and I only had £2. The egg mayo filled a hole and left me with 10p spare to put towards my kids inheritance.

Does the original poster need to invite all the engineers to complete the work to ensure she does not waste the time of the unsuccessful 2? Of course not!

Have a great day!
Rick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back