Biasi - Riva HE M96 28SM/C - Ignition Error

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

wondering if anyone can help i have a Biasi Riva Compact HE M96 28SM/C

it's been working fine for years

However over the last 2 days will keep locking out with the error indicating

'lack of burner ignition (no ignition signal from the full sequence ignition device)'

If you unlock / reset it will fire up fine but cuts out again. If you keep unlocking a few times it will stay lit and not lockout

Hence seems when cold when ignition detection is not working?

Once it kicks in it will continue working, can open close tap and the boiler kicks in as needed, however leave it for say 30 minutes without demanding hot water - and you have to reset a few times and then will work again.

I'm thinking this is heat related? i.e. once it warms up flame detection works fine - could this be a bad ignition detection electrode?

any help appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No, and you should not be opening the combustion chamber where that is located anyway!

I am reluctant to give DIY repair advice to someone who is prepared to flout normal safety limits for DIY work.

Suggest you get a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

Thanks Agile, i'm definitely not opening the gas / seals.

Just wanted to check if this is the problem area or if i can do any further troubleshooting to try and identify the issue.

Reading though various posts, some advise this is a PCB issue, which i would consider doing myself. drain is not frozen over, but maybe the issue is there?

Thanks again

If its the earlier model with two PCBs then its quite likely to be the ignition PCB.

I only said "likely" and not "is" as I have never seen your boiler!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Agile,

Yes it's the one with a separate ignition PCB

Please don't shoot me down, however;

I have the option to pay Biasi a fixed fee of £200 and they will fix including the parts and labor - not a bad deal i think if the parts become expensive (PCB)

Looking at the fault last night i notice that when i unlock the boiler, it fires up but the ignition electrodes keep sparking even thou it's lit. so it's not detecting the boiler has actually lit.

I disconnected the condensate trap lead - same issue.

is there anyway i can bridge / trick the detection electrode to rule this out?

Obviously if it's the electrode it's quite a cheap part hence the fixed fee would not benefit me.

Thanks again :)

We do not give DIY repair advice on gas/combustion issues here!

As I said before, I am concerned that you are quite prepared to open the sealed combustion chamber.

Your desire not to spend money extends to compromising your own safety!

Tony

Fair enough

FYI

As i said before i'm not intending to open the chamber. I know a corgi fitter who is unfamiliar with Biasi boilers, he can install not troubleshoot them. So if i could tell him to just fit the detection electrode if this is the cause - the fix would cost me £100 inc parts

otherwise I'm speeding twice that.

You should call a gas reg engineer who is competent to diagnose boiler faults!

If you tell someone to replace something and it turns out not to be the faulty part then you have wasted your money!

"I know a corgi fitter who is unfamiliar with Biasi boilers". What is his CORGI number?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back