Biasi Riva Plus failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, great site I've been here a few times since owning my Biasi Riva Plus (heat only) model# M135.30CR. I purchase this boiler from a installer here in Alberta Canada, I have used him in the past and if knowledgeable but doubtful he has any tickets for what he does. Its a fine line out here, not any real legislation but perhaps you'd have to be a power engineer? Either way last November 2014 after 1 year of owning it my boiler stopped working. The lights I and III would flash and and would light for 6 sec approx and shut down leaving the lockout light on and the II light(red) on with others on as well. I investigated further and found my condensate trap was full and my condensate neutralization capsule and lines full as well cleaned the Condensate trap and drained the lines. I hae not touched the boiler till a day ago. My installer does not return my calls, I have no idea why. It wasn't till I seen post here: www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=205583

After removing that screw with the two grey wires from the condensate trap the boiler would run however it needed those out to run, clearly not fixed. There also is some "air" or pressurized air coming out of the trap hole where the screw was which I'm not sure is a good thing or bad. I left it run last night or this morning as I was up all night thinking and reading these forums. I awake to find glycol all over the floor and I did not see any leak so other then the condensate trap and lines where full full and the and it was getting more water from the feed water line, the pressure regulator was making that squeal. I am guessing the glycol/water mix and it has made its way through the heat exchanger or combustion chamber? why? It still was running regardless of how much water was coming out of 3 wire hole. That is why I am here, see if anyone of you could give me some ideas, I'll try the installer again today as I need the boiler fixed.
I have some pictures, I can take more.

Mike

Sorry about the picture I should of did the standard picture taking, lol.

Sponsored Links
My advice will still be the same as what I posted in that link you have shown.

But here in the UK we rather discourage DIYers from touching the condensate trap as its actually part of the flue system and should really only be worked on by a gas registered person.

I cannot advise removing the connection to the trap either.

But if you must then at least replace the screw!

Running with the wire off can cause damage to the boiler.

Tony

Agreed. I have still have not heard back from the installer. However, why would the glycol mix go into the condensate trap? Is this a normal occurrence? I want to know more, but I am not touching anything else, if something is defective I would like to get warranty on the parts and have a professional installer fix it.

EDITS*
Also even if its got a problem with the flame detection wire there seems to be a few things failing. The installer used a Axiom condensate kit and is using the soft rubber lines that goes into drain. After reading the instructions and noticing that he just stuffed it in the drain, slightly submerged in the water in the drain I am wondering if thats a good idea.

Thanks for the reply btw, much appreciated. Mike

Sponsored Links
Recouperater / secondary heat exc has sprung a leak ?? may be ?

Blimey biasi's in canada ?

Hope Biasi / canada have a better attitude than biasi uk

:)

Ya, I think you are correct, after looking at it closely something definitely wrong, will need to replace that sec tank etc, so I'll get a guy out to call it in and replace. thanks

Also there are no biasi canada, all these boilers are bought out of the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back