Bifold installation opinions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hoping for some opinions please on an install of a bifold I'm having done by professional installers.
Came home yesterday to see that rather than brick below the bifold threshold they've dropped in a few pieced of softwood timber...I assume they couldn't be bothered bricking up to match the rest. I've told them I'm not happy with this due to softwood rotting, damp rising/splashing up and the fact it looks terrible. The solution today is to tell me they've sorted it....by cementing over and sticking a bead on..
Apart from the windows not actually working (apparently a part has been machined too big) this just strikes me as a bodge. Forgot to say, they've even attempted to grind the walls where the frame didn't fit too well and ended up cutting into the aluminium.
Am.i right to be concerned? Is this common practice to fill voids at ground level with softwood 2 X 1 and cover with a bit of cement and a bead?
Even the siliconing on a window they've installed is very slap dash for my liking. Am I being overly critical in terms of what is deemed a professional install? Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220621_165740033.jpg
    PXL_20220621_165740033.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20220621_165731882.jpg
    PXL_20220621_165731882.jpg
    544.8 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Forgot to attach these images of a bit of brickwork I asked them to fix and the siliconing..
.looks much better in the photo than in real.life.

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_163029705.jpg
    PXL_20220622_163029705.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 91
  • PXL_20220622_161646529.jpg
    PXL_20220622_161646529.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 92
Personally I would’ve fitted the frame in place by packing up the bottom with plastic frame packers, then filled the void with mortar, making sure packers are set back and covered.

the brick repair isn’t good enough, although unless there were some spare bricks around it would be tricky to make a decent job - the little Charlie piece and the other bits need removing then one then one cut brick put back in.

silicone is not really acceptable

Hi notch7 I'd have been happier with plastic packers in the void and some mortar....I just can't accept softwood at ground level....amazes me how they don't even explain what the plan is....you go to work and comeback to see that. They had plenty of bricks too as they've removed some brickwork either side at the bottom which had windows sat on with a French door in the centre. Assuming they used a Stihl saw outside to cut the brickwork....should I accept this inside....seems like they've just hacked it off.

Attachments

• PXL_20220621_172756201.jpg
    PXL_20220621_172756201.jpg
    452.8 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20220621_172748202.jpg
    PXL_20220621_172748202.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 85
Sponsored Links
Glad you agree...surely can't be acceptable. Exactly what I thought. Probably why bifold doesn't work either...same attention to detail installing that as theyve spent on the brickwork and silicone

Any suggestions on the way forward - what to realistically ask the installers to do? I do worry trying to fix a bodge may make matters worse

Will the wood underneath be OK, for a while yes, should it be there... No.

You need to get the installers back and refit properly. I wouldn't be happy if this was my house and it was left like that.
The brick pointing looks like they used their fingers to point it up, again this should be re-done.

Have you already paid in full?

Are the installers from a company (perhaps speak to manager) or self employed blokes?

Don't start bodging it yourself.

Good luck

Hi notch7 I'd have been happier with plastic packers in the void and some mortar....I just can't accept softwood at ground
It’s wrong.

they tossed in some softwood to get the frame wedged in place.

The correct way is to use wedges - even softwood is fine. They are used just to hold frame in place.

then below the cill, the gap is mortared in. Once set the mortar is what you see and what faces the weather.

Any suggestions on the way forward - what to realistically ask the installers to do? I do worry trying to fix a bodge may make matters worse

You need to politely but firmly write to the company by email, you need to itemise each part you are not happy about and ask them to do it correctly.

You can state you want it completed to a commercially acceptable standard.

We'll, it gets worse it seems. Contacted the manufacturer who has asked me send photos over as they're questioning the install. I then go to take a look myself and see further damage....scratches and marks on the front...this one they can't cover with a bead! I've just earlier sent my official email to the company.....they did say they'd be round tomorrow afternoon to rectify everything but I've told them this won't be happening until I've heard back from manufacturers. Thanks for the replies, very helpful

Attachments

• PXL_20220623_182452841.jpg
    PXL_20220623_182452841.jpg
    432 KB · Views: 72
Ive had the chap chasing me up for money today....initially wanting much more than I'm prepared to give. He fitted 2 casement windows in addition and blocked up fully and partially blocked up a window. I'd paid 450 in advance and he's hassling me because he's got to pay his workers and van earns him £1000 a day apparently. Worries me now whether he would be the type to key your car/break in as he knows the bifolds aren't secure.
I've sent an official email requesting what I expect for full payment. It's reasonable to expect a written response from the company isn't it assuring me of what they plan to do to rectify the many issues?
Thanks

I must add I supplied everything...even the blocks for the windows! He's literally supplied silicone...which they can't use...and beads....to cover up the hacked frame and cover the pieces of timber at ground level.

Yes, you should await the reply and see how this bloke is going to sort out correcting the problems you have. If he sees no problems with what he's done, I suggest you direct him to specsavers, :ROFLMAO:

I'm always surprised when I hear these lame 'got to pay for this and that' comments... that's the case for all self employed folks in building or not... if he'd done a good job, there wouldn't be an issue. If he's earning £1000 what's he moaning about?

Hopefully you'll get this sorted to your satisfaction.

Are the scratches on the door, from the manufacturer or done by the fitters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back