Opinions needed after communication issue with new doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post, I'm after some opinions please.

I'm renovating a property at the moment, it's my first time. Last week I had new windows, a front door and french doors fitted. There are a bunch of issues with the windows and doors, which I've raised to the company we used. They are addressing some, but here's one they are unlikely to budge on unless we pay for it:

The new front door and french doors have a low profile threshold, which sits just a couple of centimetres above the concrete floor:

IMG_2511.jpg

This is far lower than the previous patio door and front door that had been replaced.

We wanted to install underfloor heating, which will require about 3-4cm off the concrete floor once it's all finished. So as it stands, with the doors we have installed, the underfloor heating is not possible because the screed would go over the top of the door threshold.

I wasn't aware that we had ordered low-profile thresholds, and nor did I understand this was even an option. The company we purchased from insist we should have communicated that we wanted standard height thresholds or that we should have told them we were planning on installing underfloor heating.

From my point of view, I didn't know this would be an issue. As they are selling me this product, I think they should have been clear what they were selling rather than waiting until it was installed to find out that there was an issue. They have just assumed that we wanted a low profile threshold. Not once did they ask, but they are insisting this is my fault.

So, who is at fault? Is this on the window company or is this on me?

Your opinions are welcome, even if you do blame me, I want to know!

Sponsored Links
It is usually better practice to install low threshold on patio door openings to reduce chances of trip hazards.

I wouldn't expect you to know this, I feel they should have discussed the options with you. On the flip side had you have laid out your intentions re the floor being raised then they would have probably entered discussion about threshold heights

Personally I would say it's 50/50, as you will undoubtedly be buying the replacement from them I would attempt to get a decent discount..

Sponsored Links
Yes its your fault for not telling them what height you wanted the doors to be.
I went to a new build recently, and was led through the house to the back garden through some sliding patio doors and I stumbled over the
thresh hold 130mm high ???

They should've asked you to mark the finished floor line when they took measurements so to have no blame in any cock up.
Amateurs.

I blame you too but they're a bit lapse in not asking you, surely it said somewhere in there quote about the type of threshold? Assuming there wasn't a drawing for you to approve?

Thanks for all your responses. Live and learn, I guess. I do feel that they have been poor at communicating this, and not just with this but other issues too. This just adds to our frustration with them.

I blame you too but they're a bit lapse in not asking you, surely it said somewhere in there quote about the type of threshold? Assuming there wasn't a drawing for you to approve?

On the drawing which I approved, the front door threshold says "AM3-70 Threshold" (how is a layman meant to understand what this is?) and the french doors say "Standard Threshold". Which doesn't suggest low-profile... unless low is standard? But again, how am I meant to know that?

I doubt there are many people who intend to raise their floor level after the doors are fitted, so I think it was more on your side to make a point. Personally I think there is not really much to criticise because normally the lower the threshold the better to avoid trip hazard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back