big combi problems / need help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry:
I have a 4 year old gas wickes finest combi boiler which is manufactured by halstead. About 2 months ago it cut out and the red ignition lockout light came on, so I just reset it and carried on. A couple of weeks later it started doing it more often and only last week the pressure release valve started to leak outside. I filled the boiler back up to the right pressure with the filling loop and reset it again but it has got worse and it doesn't hold water now, it just seems to run out. I had a plumber round who replaced the valve for 70 quid for 20 minutes work, which i didn't mind if it did the trick because we had our first son last week and the last thing i need is a cold house. I then got a phone call from the mrs today saying that it had cut out and she couldn't get it to come on again, so I got it going again when i got in from work but noticed that the pressure had dropped 0.5 bar and there was a wet patch outside again and it has gone off twice since so i really don't know what to do.

Can anyone help please and cheers for any help.
mark v

Sponsored Links
The losing water bit is probably cos the pressure vessel needs pumping up. Lots of replies on this if you do a search. Did the 20 minute man check its pressure (normal to use a car foot pump if not a separate gauge.)? If not the mans incompetent.

The red-light cutting out problem could be caused by several things. I haven't got the manula in front of me & I'm not sure which Halstead it is . Is it Wickes 2000? If so it's a H Quattro. Or is the lower front a rather cheap looking grey plastic part?
When was the boiler last serviced? It's possibly fluff in yer venturi. If you don't know what that is you shouldn't be going in there.

All the above should be covered by a FULL service - not a BG annual check though.

It is a wickes 2000 and the last service was about 18 months ago, but the guy who put it in 4 years ago, took the instructions with him and i've browsed the net for hours but cant find anywhere to get a copy from. The plumber who did the valve just drained it off and put the new valve on and filled it back up and it seemed ok for a week but it just started again today. i've tested the pump and the power to the fan is working ok, but apart from that i don't know what else to try because i am a joiner by trade and can only do general plumbing like bathrooms and sinks and stuff but there doesn't seem to be much in the combi that can go wrong but i suppose its all about finding the one particular part that is doing the damage.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back