Big gap between shower tray and wall tiles...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having renewed the backing board in my shower, and fitted a new tray, I find there’s a much bigger gap round the edges of the tray than expected. I’ll try and take a pic later.

I measured the old tray before taking it out, and it was “about” 7’6” square – I assumed there wouldn't be any other sizes close to that, so that’s exactly what it must be. But it looks like it was somehow slightly larger than the new one, which IS 7’6” square.

I was very careful in replacing the old 12mm marine ply with 12mm backer board, so the available space should be exactly what it was before. Unfortunately I had to smash the old tray to pieces to remove it, so can’t verify that it was a slightly different size – doesn't really matter though, we are where we are.

So my question is… is it OK to tile down inside the gap between the tray and backer board, then seal? I know normally the tiles would come down on top of the tray… if not, is there anything else I can do?

Sponsored Links
When I fitted Mermaid shower boards in our bathroom the kit included a very good sealing strip, which sat on top of the shower tray and behind the boards, you then filled the gap with sealant, which made for a very smart job. Can you get a similar bead from a bathroom supplier?

Hhmmm, not sure - guess a visit to the plumbing/bathroom merchant is the next step...

Ply is not a great substrate for tiling.
Just overboard it with a tile-backer board to bring the walls out to suit. You can get different thicknesses depending on brand.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but I can't do that - the ply had got wet and falling apart at the bottom, so I cut it out up to about 3 feet, and replaced it with backer board of the same thickness. So it's backer board up to 3' or so already. I can't build it out as I didn't remove the tiles above that level, so the lower ones have to be flush with them...

Well, I think you know what the right thing to do is but DIY is always a catalogue of patch ups and short cut bodges (including my own house before you get offended).
It's often easier to rip it all out and do it again rather than trying to bridge a gap at a crucial weak point of the enclosure :)

Well, I think you know what the right thing to do is but DIY is always a catalogue of patch ups and short cut bodges (including my own house before you get offended).
It's often easier to rip it all out and do it again rather than trying to bridge a gap at a crucial weak point of the enclosure :)

Yeah...can't do that though, as I'd have to de-tile the whole en-suite (can't get the tiles any more - the ones I did remove were mostly easy-ish as they had been stuck to a wet background), then probably take the stud wall down, which partitions off the utility room next door, washing machine, sink in the way, etc etc etc - it would go on and on till I'd dismantled the entire house.

So I have to make this work, one way or another...

Have a look at 'Homelux Sealastrip', may be suitable for what you want to do. My old Gaffer swore by it, and used it on every job when I was an apprentice in the 80's.

Have a look at 'Homelux Sealastrip', may be suitable for what you want to do. My old Gaffer swore by it, and used it on every job when I was an apprentice in the 80's.

Yeah that's a pretty good product and if needs must...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back