gap between showr tray & wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a 800mm square shower tray. There are brick walls on two sides & a stud wall on the other, the left. The shower head is mounted on the right hand wall. The studd wall is lined with marine ply.

If i move the tray snug up against one wall, then I have a gap of approx 25mm between the tray and the other wall.

Any suggestions ..?

1. I could split the difference and have a 1/2 inch gap with side. The tiles will be approx 10-12 mm thick and I could try & sdeal the remaining gap with silicon. I don't like this idea.
2. I could move the tray snug up against one wall, fill the gap with either wood or expanding foar, then cut tiles 30mm inch wide and silicon them in place to cover the 25mm gap & give a 5mm overlap with the tray. I'd then tile as normal up the wall. Which wall should I do this on - the right hand one under the shower head? or the left hand one on the other side?
3. Board the complete wall with an extra 1/2 inch board to halve the gap- seems a lot of work.

Any other ideas please?

Steve

Sponsored Links
Personally I would go for number 3, least amount of work in the long run.

Large beads of silicone can look unsightly and slithers of flat tile can leak after a while.

I'd say a small gap but not tight.

Al

Most shower trays should be let into the wall/s by about 10mm and tiled down onto so that the tiled face is around 17 - 20mm in from the edge of the tray. The waste should be at the front/panel edge for access to the trap and leveled to run slightly toward it and away from the walls.

How would I fix aqua panel then to a wall or to marine plu? Glue it, or screw it. Screwing it to a wall seems difficult involving raw plugs int toeh plaster/brick!
Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back