Big job breaking out !!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My partner and I have recently moved into a new house with plenty of work for me to do. I`m starting with the bathroom, with which I want to move the central heating system (conventional) into the loft, as I am a plumbing novice I have three questions if anyone can help :-

1. Before moving the hot water cylinder what is the best way to drain it?

2. I`m looking at putting a pump in to increase pressure to the shower, I currently have a 25g cold water cistern, should this be bigger ??

3. And finally can anyone recommend a good double ended pump with output pressure of approx 2.5 - 3bar, must be competitively priced ?

Thanks in advance for information :LOL:

Sponsored Links
If there is no suitable drain cock you could try syphoning the water out or you can purchase a small plastic rotary pump that will fit an electric drill.
Increasing the size of the cistern will not increase the pressure.
The pressure is created by the difference in height between 'water level in cistern' and 'shower head'. If you lower and raise your shower head you will see the flow of water reduce when raised because the pressure has reduced.
The vertical position of the cistern is the controlling factor but you have not said where it is at the present.
If its not in the loft, moving it up into the loft will increase the pressure.
If it's already in the loft you may have to raise it because it has to be higher than the cylinder.
With the water cistern on a platform in the loft higher than the cylinder you will get an acceptable shower pressure,but it won't be 2.5 bar
The drawback when using a pump in conjunction with a low capacity cistern is whether the level in the cistern can be maintained
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're taking on a lot for a novice. You'll probalby get air in your pump & all sorts. Ask a plumber to quote - but expect to get rumbled if you ask too many questions!
Decent 3 bar pump £300 Cheap ones make a din and last no time at all then leak & you lose a ceiling.

Pumped shower say 20 litres/min of hot - so your cylinder would last 6 mins then be all cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back