Bike Shed foundations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I want to build a small bikeshed onto the rear of my existing garage, it would basically consist of a wall 2mx2m of facing bricks, with piller support either end and centre piller, my question is this, the concrete which the bricks would be laid on is about 50mm thick, would this suffice in carrying the weight of the wall? if not could i lay a row of concrete blocks to bed the bricks onto, or would i have to cut the base and dig a deeper foundation?

Cheers Dave

Sponsored Links
Hard to say as it depends on the width of the concrete and ground conditions.
But just try a layer of 7N concrete blocks laid flat as a first course, and that should be sufficient to spread the load over a wider area of concrete.

As there's every chance the existing 50mm of concrete doesn't have a dpm (not saying that is needs one), I, personally, would take this as an opportunity to rip it and and do it properly.

Tom

Thanks for the replies.

Pallatrax, i can be sure that it does not have a DPM, but at my age i don't fancy the idea of ripping it all out and starting again, thanks for the reply.

tony1851, I think i will go with your suggestion, just one more point, which would be the better idea, laying the 7Ns with, or across the brickwork.

cheers Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back