Birds mouth depth in timber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to group and looking for advice on birds mouth cuts on sloping rafter roof.

roof 1
Mono pitched roof. Span is 4.37 m (measured on slope) pitch is 15 degrees, it is a open from floor level to underside of rafters ( ie relying on solely on rafters to hold masonary walls at each end, no ceiling ties etc). Rafters have been sized using trada tables at 195 x 47 c24 at 400 centres. I’ve actually used 225 x 47 as overkill. They sit on top of wall plates on inner leafs at both ends. My question is how deep can I cut birds mouth into the timber??, I’m thinking 75mm, third of overall timber height???.

roof 2
Pitched roof, peak being supported on steel ridge beam, rafters bolted together over top of ridge beam. Timbers again sized using trada tables come out at 100 x 47 c24 at 400 centres. As rafters are bolted together over ridge beam this will eliminate the sideways force on masonry walls at wall plate ends, again I’m thinking 33mm, third of overall timber.

ive seen examples of birds mouth being cut where the seat cut rather than coming flat out to underside of rafter is sunk down into rafter itself. A large chunk being cut out rather than a triangular shape, using a heal cut at either end of seat cut

any advice welcomed

Sponsored Links
ive seen examples of birds mouth being cut where the seat cut rather than coming flat out to underside of rafter is sunk down into rafter itself. A large chunk being cut out rather than a triangular shape, using a heal cut at either end of seat cut
Sounds rubbish to me, You don't really want to be taking any more material than necessary out of the rafter. Why the need for such deep b/m's?

We try and opt so that the seat of the BM occupies as much of the wall plate width as possible, depending on rafter section and steepness of the roof.

Our latest..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back