Bit confused about filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to understand what to use to fill cracks, holes etc.

It seems you can use polyfilla, one coat, hardwall, easy fill, bonding, multifinish...

Is there a simple guide, what to use and when?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Would depend on size of hole/crack. Your not going to have great success filling in a large crack or hole with polyfilla or easifil compound.
Multi-Finish is not really designed to fill holes and cracks either!

Small cracks would ideally filled by the fine powder products, such as easifill/polyfilla.

Larger holes/cracks would require a possibly a couple of application, one to fill in the meat of the hole/crack, then a second to smooth out. This would require two differing products, such bonding to fill the hole, then multi-finish to give a smooth wall surface.
*could also be possible to smooth out with easifill, this would require sanding down, and very likely two or three application to get an even, smooth finish*

Medium size holes and crack could be dealt with by one coat, but anything greater than 10mm depth, I would be recommending filling out, then skimming over.

The best filler I've found is Toupret powder, sold by the likes of Toolstation and Leyland.

This can be filled to any depth and cures without shrinking.

Overfill very slightly and then sand off.

If the hole is large, underfill, let cure (an hour or so) then do a finish fill

Sponsored Links
Thought you wanted a decent job - your choice.

If the hole is big (and you didn't define "big") you can fill most of the chasm using pieces of plasterboard, then skimmed over with filler - or if you are really tight, pieces of sheet cardboard to consume the bulk of the void. The old boys used to stuff in sheets of screwed up newspaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back